Cook's Hideout: Pickled Jalapenos

September 29, 2015

Pickled Jalapenos

Buffet on Table: Bloggers Choice
Day 25: Preserving Summer Bounty - Pickled Jalapenos
Today I have a simple pickled jalapenos recipe to use up some of the jalapenos from the backyard. Recipe is from 'Everyday Food' magazine. This is a quick pickling method and it stays good in the refrigerator for about a month.
Preserving Summer Jalapenos
The recipe uses cider vinegar (aka apple cider vinegar) for the pickling purposes. Just a word of caution, boiling the vinegar gives out quite a strong smell and both my husband and son were bothered a lot by it. I pretended that didn't bother me, but it was quite strong to my liking as well :-)

Jalapenos

Jalapenos
Jalapenos come in different levels of spiciness, but they are not as hot as Indian chilies. My backyard jalapenos were medium spiced, so the pickled version of these jalapenos ended up mildly spiced. These pickled jalapenos are great to serve over tacos, sandwiches, wraps, even pizzas.

Ingredients:
Jalapenos - ½lb. (about 8), stems removed and cut into ¼" slices 
Carrots - 2 medium, cut into ¼" rounds
Apple Cider Vinegar - 1½cups (reduce to 1cup if you don't like them too acidic)
Bay leaves - 2
Sugar - 1tsp
Whole Peppercorns - ¼tsp
Coarse Salt - 2tsp

Method:
  • Place the jalapenos in a heatproof glass bowl.
  • In a medium saucepan, combine carrots, apple cider, 2cups water, salt, peppercorns, sugar, bay leaves and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
  • Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
  • Pour over the jalapenos and let sit until cool, about 1 hour, using a small plate to keep jalapenos submerged if they float.
To store: Completely cool the mixture and store in an airtight container in the cooking liquid for up to a month.

12 comments:

  1. my husband loves Jalapenos and this pickle wuld taste great too ! great to see pics from ur garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~Sign~Wish I had that backyard!..beautiful picture of the plant and the plucked ones pavani..never tried my hands at pickled ones..must try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful clicks from backyard...the pickled jalapeƱos are a treat and I make them regularly, never added carrots though. The vinegar is strong and you can actually leave the kitchen with exhaust on for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love pickled jalapenos in our pasta, Mexican food and even in salad. I didn't ever tried at home.Thanks to your post now I can do the same.All the pics , the green color looks marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this with sandwiches. Anything from our own garden is extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum yum yummy!! that one is super tempting.. great addition to the pizzas and pastas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pickled jalapenos. I should have picked up some from the farm for pickling. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Useful post and stunning pictures, the first one in the green background,amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love jalapenos in any dish, good post to pickle them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow ! this is a very useful post. We always buy the preserved jalapenos. But I must try this to see if we can stop buying those :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish i get a bottle of this pickled jalapenos, my favourite anytime.. lovely clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband prepares pickled jalapenos & pickles at home though I have never paid any attention to it. Your version sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips