Cook's Hideout: Thalipeeth (Maharashtrian flat bread)

September 07, 2015

Thalipeeth (Maharashtrian flat bread)

Buffet on Table: Week 2 -- Indian States
Day 1: Maharashtra -- Thalipeeth
After a week of combo meals from around the world, our theme for the second week of our mega marathon, Buffet on Table, is Indian States. So each day of this week, I will be sharing a dish from different states in India.
Multi grain Roti
With the amount of time we had to plan for this marathon, I should have made elaborate dishes and meals for this week. Though I had plans to make it 'mega', when reality really hit me it was a little too late in the game. I stuck to very simple dishes, but I have to say I enjoyed them all very much and I will be making them often in the future.

Multi grain Roti
First up is a simple Maharashtrian roti called Thalipeeth. It is made with bhajani or thalipeeth flour. Bhajani is nothing but a mixture of various flours and is sold with the same name in Indian stores. There are many various recipes with different flours and different proportions on the internet, so I think it differs from family to family.
I followed Madhura's recipe from here because I had all the flours in the pantry. Also it scares me when a gluten free flour like jowar or bajra flour is the main ingredient because it is difficult to make rotis with them as they tend to bread while making. So this recipe with atta (wholewheat flour) as the main ingredient looked doable for me.
Multi grain Roti
Thalipeeth turned out delicious. Addition of spices, onion and cilantro adds lot of flavor. These can be eaten without any spicy side dish, just a simple pickle or green chutney or yogurt should suffice. (I put some leftover potato curry on the plate too).
Multi grain Roti
Recipe adapted from here:
Ingredients:
Atta/ Wholewheat flour - 1cup
Jowar flour - ½cup
Rice flour - ½cup
Besan/ Chickpea flour - ½cup
Thick Poha (flattened rice flakes) - ¾cup
Ginger - 1" piece, grated
Green Chilies - 2, finely chopped (adjust as per taste)
Garam Masala - 1tsp
Ground Coriander - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Ajwain seeds - ½tsp
Turmeric - ½tsp
Cilantro - ½cup, finely chopped
Onion - 1 small, finely chopped 
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Soak poha in water for a few minutes. Drain and keep ready.
  • Combine the flours in a mixing bowl along with the drained poha.
  • Add ginger, green chilies, garam masala, ground coriander, cumin and ajwain seeds, turmeric, cilantro, onion and salt.
  • Mix everything to combine.
  • Add enough water and knead to a stiff dough. Cover and set aside for 15~20 minutes.
  • Divide the dough into 12~15 balls. Roll each ball out into a 5~6" roti. Alternately, slightly dampen a small piece of foil and spread out the dough on the foil using your finger. Poke a small hole in the middle of the thalipeeth.
  • Cook thalipeeth on a hot tawa/ pan until golden spots start to form on both sides. Brush with oil while cooking.
  • Serve hot with green chutney, pickle or yogurt.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56.


Signature

17 comments:

  1. Thalipeeth is indeed very delicious and a wholesome bread. Pradnya had given us the ready to use flour which we all loved. Need I say that I love the way you have presented the simple meal with all the accompaniments..it looks like a feast to me. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you use anything as props, beautiful presentation Pavani.. Thalipeeth with those side dishes makes an awesome meal..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Platter looks wonderful :-)) addition of poha is new to me ... Bookmarking to try ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow the cast iron tawa is giving such a nice look!!! so apt... delicious thalipeeth...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing your collage of dough kneading, I remembered even I took step by step preparation of thalipeeth and forgot to make a collage & put it in the post. Duh.. Anyway, your thalipeeth came out perfect and even we liked this flatbread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bookmarking this. I am yet to try these breads. Very nice

    ReplyDelete
  7. great idea to use cast iron tawa here...this looks very delicious...it has been a while since i made this last...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am yet to try Thalipeeth. Your whole setup looks amazingly tasty .Nice clicks as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even I made this one with a different mixture of flours today ... This looks delicious and i like that techa too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bookmarked this ..It looks delicious and tempting..Even the step by step pics are so perfect..Like the 2nd photo very much.I noticed that in most of the posts , you have one photo that focus the half of the main dish/setup with blurred background and i love those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Addition of poha sounds very interesting. I am sure to make this version. Loved the usage of the iron pan there😀

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pictures are so sinful and tempting Pavani, that I will settle to these dishes too..:)..moreover thalipeeth is quite on the exotic dishes as per the taste..I love it..very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thalipeet looks so delicious Pavani. Even I have resorted to easy recipe this week and we all loved them so much. As long as it is tasty, there would be no problem with folks at home..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pavani beautiful pics and awesome combo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know that poha is also a part of a thalipeeth. I feel traditional flat breads like these are rustic and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a great multigrain flatbread and like the rustic presentation!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips