This tomato soup is the perfect accompaniment to grilled cheese sandwich. It is also great to serve warm with crusty bread on a chilly day.
Diced Tomatoes - 1 14oz. (or use 3~4 medium ripe tomatoes -- blanch, peel and puree them)
Red Onion - 1 small, finely choppedGinger - ½" piece, grated
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Red Chili powder - ½tsp
Coconut milk - 1½cups
Rice flour - 1tbsp (or chickpea flour)
Salt - to taste
Cilantro - 2tbsp, chopped
- Heat 2tsp oil in a saucepan, add the cumin seeds and once the seeds start to turn dark, add the onions and cook till they turn translucent, about 3~5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and saute for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomato puree, chili powder and salt. Simmer for 5~8 minutes.
- Gently stir in the coconut milk. Simmer the soup till all the flavors get a chance to mingle. If the soup seems too thin, then stir in rice flour that is whisked in water and simmer the soup for 2~3 minutes or till the soup is thick.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with grilled cheese sandwich.