Cook's Hideout: Sihi Bella (Sweet Poha with Jaggery)

September 10, 2015

Sihi Bella (Sweet Poha with Jaggery)

I made this simple sweet poha dish along with lemon rice for my daughter's birthday. Recently I made a sweet dish poha and jaggery, but that one is more like a payasam but this one is a dry-ish preparation.
Sweet Poha with Jaggery
This dish can be made in no time, getting the jaggery to melt is the only time consuming part. I used powdered jaggery to make things easy for me, if you are using regular jaggery, then make sure to powder it well. Also using fresh grated coconut is important because dried or frozen coconut is too dry for this dish.
Any type of poha can be used, thick or thin. If you are using thick poha, then soak in water a little longer to soften otherwise a quick rinse is enough. I think next time I make this dish, I'll use red poha to see how it tastes.

Recipe adapted from here and here:
IngredientsServes 2
Thin Poha - 1cup
Fresh Coconut - ⅓cup, grated plus more for topping
Jaggery powder - ⅓cup
Ground Cardamom - ¼tsp
Cashews - 1tbsp, chopped
Raisins - 1tbsp
Sesame seeds - 1tsp

Method:
  • Combine coconut with jaggery, cardamom and mix well; set aside for 20~30 minutes. As the mixture sits, jaggery will dissolve and coat the coconut.
  • Rinse poha in a sieve and set aside. Make sure there's not much water left in the poha, but keep it moistened to soften it.
  • Dry roast the sesame seeds until golden.
  • Roast cashews and raisins in 2tsp ghee until golden.
  • Add the coconut-jaggery mixture to the poha along with sesame seeds and roasted nuts. Mix gently to combine. Sprinkle with more grated coconut and serve. Enjoy!!
Sweet Poha with Jaggery


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56.

Signature

10 comments:

  1. Pavani this was what my mom made. I always wondered how to make this poha. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting desert recipe.Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an easy preparation! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this brings back memories of janmashtami and in kannada its called Sihi Bella :-) Vella Aval i think is a tamil name :)) lovely pics as usual !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wonderful dish Pavani..so nicely presented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.. Lovely dish..I like aval in any form..

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite dishes. Hope your little one had a great birthday.
    I don't think this dish is called sihi bella in Kannada since that means sweet jaggery. It is called sihi avalakki / gul pohe which means sweetened poha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum yum!!! a quick one to relish.. it is super easy and very elegant!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some poha just waiting to be used up - this one looks so good

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips