Cook's Hideout: Japanese Eggplants broiled with Miso (Nasu Dengaku)

September 08, 2015

Japanese Eggplants broiled with Miso (Nasu Dengaku)

After cooking more than 1 dish for the mega blogging marathon, I think I got in the habit of making more dishes. So here I am with the second Japanese dish for #Food of the World event that I served with Miso Noodle Soup.
I planted 2 eggplant plants in my raised garden bed and after waiting the whole summer, they have just started to grow some beautiful, long Japanese eggplants. I wanted to make a Japanese dish using them and found this simple Broiled Japanese eggplants with miso recipe on Fatfree Vegan's site.

Eggplants are broiled until tender and then smeared with some sweet and salty miso sauce, then broiled again until the sauce is bubbly and delicious. I absolutely loved this dish, but if you know me, I'm partial to eggplants :-)

Recipe from FatfreeVegan site:
Nasu Dengaku (Japanese Eggplants broiled with Miso):
Ingredients:
Japanese Eggplants - 2 medium, trim the stem end and cut in half lengthwise
Mirin - 1tbsp
Sake (substitute with dry vermouth or white wine or white wine vinegar) - 1tbsp
White Miso - 2tbsp
Agave Nectar - 1tbsp
Sesame oil - ¼tsp
Toasted Sesame seeds - for garnish
Sliced Green onions - for garnish

Method:
  • In a small saucepan; combine mirin and sake (I used white wine vinegar) over medium heat. Simmer for about 2 minutes. Add miso and stir until smooth. 
  • Stir in the agave nectar, reduce the heat to very low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, while you broil the eggplants.
  •  Brush the cut sides of the eggplant with sesame oil, if desired. Put the eggplants cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet and place it under the broiler for about 3 minutes, check often to make sure not to burn.
  • Flip them over, and broil for 3 more minutes or until the tops are light to medium brown. Make sure not to burn.
  • When the eggplants are tender, top each one with miso sauce and place them back in the oven and broil until the sauce starts bubbling, this will take less than a minute, so watch closely.
  • Serve hot, sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds and green onions.

Please visit our cohosts blogs and follow their sites! 

 


Submit your Japanese recipes using the linky tool below:
An InLinkz Link-up
Signature

3 comments:

  1. haha, we all know how partial you are towards eggplants.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always made eggplant Italian style and I just made a Chinese version. Will have to try your Japanese version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious. I love the plating, too. Eggplant is a favorite veggie, but I rarely eat it with Asian seasoning. That needs to change :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips