Cook's Hideout: Chitrannam and Sihi Bella

September 10, 2015

Chitrannam and Sihi Bella

Buffet on Table: Week 2 -- Indian States
Day 9: Karnataka -- Chitranna and Vella Avalaki
I have savory and sweet dishes from Karnataka today. It was my daughter's birthday few days back and I wanted to make something special for her. Lemon rice, tamarind rice are usually made for birthdays, festivals and special occasions. So I made Karnataka style Lemon rice and Sihi Bella.
Lemon Rice
I had this lemon rice aka Chitranna from Indira's blog bookmarked for a long time. Both my kids love peanuts along with potatoes, so this lemon rice with both their favorite ingredients was just perfect. I add enough of them so that they get at least one peanut and a piece of potato in each and every bite.
Other veggies like chopped eggplant and grated carrot can be substituted for potato. This is a simple and tasty dish that is great to serve for guets.
Lemon Rice
Recipe adapted from Mahanandi:
Ingredients: Serves 2~3
Rice - 1cup
Potato - 1 medium, peeled and cubed
Green Chilies - 2~3, slit
Curry Leaves - 8~10
Lemon/ Lime juice - 3tbsp
Peanuts - 3tbsp
Cashews - 2tbsp
Turmeric - 1tsp
Salt - to taste

For Tempering:
Chana dal - 1tbsp
Urad dal - 1tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chili - 2~3

Majjiga Mirapakayalu - for serving

Method:
  • Cook rice with a few drops of oil, turmeric and salt. Make sure not to overcook the rice.
  • Heat 2tbsp oil (or a combination of oil and ghee) in a pan; add the peanuts and cashews and fry till lightly golden. Remove onto a plate and set aside.
  • In the same oil, add the tempering ingredients and saute till golden and the seeds start sputtering.
  • Add curry leaves, green chilies, potatoes and cook till they are tender. I usually microwave the potatoes to make the cooking part faster. 
  • Once the potatoes are done, add it to the rice along with the roasted peanuts and cashews. Add lemon juice and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasonings accordingly. Serve with fried majjiga mirapakayalu.
Lemon Rice


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56.



Signature

13 comments:

  1. wow! What a tempting presentation.. I can have this anytime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chitranna looks so delicious and the whole set up is mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Third picture is beautiful and love that plate. Chitrannam is mouthwatering, just like lemon rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated wishes to ur lil princess :) time surely flies...

    and that bowl of chitranna is soooo comforting ... make it often at home !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both tangy chitranna and sweet aval asking me to have rite now, irresistible clicks there..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the addition of potatoes. I am sure the kids will have this without complaining :) Lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic pictures Pavani, you make everything look so festive!..I am sure your kids enjoyed every bite of it..enjoyed knowing there were so many peanuts and potatoes..I won't mind munching the peanuts myself!...I have never added potato to lemon rice, sounds so interesting...must make it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. New combo to me.. Looks tempting ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is new to me, adding potatoes to chitranna. My daughter would love this and the sweet aval looks so yum..

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is such a delicious combo!!! loving the clicks as usual!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. rice looks so bright and inviting

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips