Cook's Hideout: Slow Roasted Tomatoes (Preserving Summer Bounty)

September 30, 2015

Slow Roasted Tomatoes (Preserving Summer Bounty)

Buffet on Table: Bloggers Choice
Day 26: Preserving Summer Bounty - Slow Roasted Tomatoes
It has been a great month of non stop blogging with our mega marathon, Buffet on Table. All good things have to come to end and today is the last day for the marathon :-( 
Today I have slow roasted potatoes recipe to preserve your summer tomato bounty. I only 3 tomato plants (cherry, roma and regular), but I've been getting quite a lot of tomatoes that needed to used up. 
Preserving Summer tomato bounty
Now I can imagine how much this bounty would be for people with lot of tomato plants -- they must be bombarded with tons of tomatoes. If you are one of them, then please share how you preserve your tomatoes in the comments below. Thank you.

Summer bounty Tomatoes

Summer bounty Tomatoes
I first saw the recipe for slow roasting tomatoes on Nupur's blog few years back, but never got around to making it. Her recipe involves roasting tomatoes in a warm (200°F) oven for about 12 hours. This recipe from Vegetarian Times magazine uses a hotter oven (300°F) and tomatoes are roasted for a little over 2 hours total. 

After roasting tomatoes, tomatoes become super sweet, slightly smoky and very delicious. With just a few minutes of hands-on time, you will have tomatoes to be used in different dishes. I've included some ideas at the end of the recipe.

Recipe from Vegetarian Times magazine:
Ingredients:
Tomatoes - 4lbs medium, halved (about 10 tomatoes)
Garlic - 2 cloves, finely minced
Dried Basil - ½tsp (can also use dried oregano or other dried herbs)
Sugar - ½tsp (optional)
Salt & Pepper - to taste

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 300°F. Brush a large baking sheet with 1tsp olive oil. 
  • Place the tomatoes cut side up on the baking sheet and drizzle with 2tbsp of olive oil. Roast for 1 hour or until the tomatoes turn juicy and start to shrivel.
  • Sprinkle with garlic, basil (or other dried herbs) and sugar (if using) and roast for another 1~1½hours more, or until tomatoes are caramelized and browned around the edges. 
  • Remove from the oven and cool completely.
How to Freeze:
Once completely cooled, spoon the mixture into resealable freezer bags or freezer jars. Make sure to leave room for expansion. Remove the excess air from the freezer bags, if using, by laying them flat and squeezing out. Label bags or jars. Stack the bags flat for an efficient storage.

Thaw and Use:
Defrost the food in the bags or jars before using.
Preserving Summer tomato bounty
Ideas for using these roasted tomatoes:

  • Blend tomatoes and use in soups or in tomato sauce for pasta.
  • Chop and stir into omelets and fritattas.
  • Add to casseroles and gratins for extra flavor.
  • Nupur's recipe -- Use in pasta salad with pesto and other roasted veggies.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56.



Signature

12 comments:

  1. Wow!! The oven dried tomatoes look incredible. I will be making this for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful way to preserve tomatoes, here in India the electricity fluctuations and power cuts spoil everything...many a times I have thrown loads of stuff..learnt a lesson now...I don't freeze anything at all.
    Has been a wonderful journey of loans of learning process..you have completely rocked throughout the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pavani, your posts are always such feast to eyes..this mega BM has been the same..I know you must have got bored hearing me say it, I don't mind repeating them though..love your style and picture composition! Its been a journey that I have enjoyed so immensely!..thank you for all the efforts you take and the lovely food you cook..these roasted tomatoes are so yum!..and your backyard sounds like a treasure cove..pls do click a complete picture for me..would love to see how it is organised!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so blessed to have fresh produce straight from your garden... the clicks are delicious and this slow roasted tomatoes is screaming full of flavor...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roasted tomatoes looks so beautiful and inviting.I can eat them as such on my sandwich.Love reading your post.I also have planted tomato but it is growing on very slow pace , I think I have done something wrong.
    I totally enjoyed all your posts in the month and not to mention the pictures .Girl you are a pro in food photography.I will bug you offline to get some tips.Congrats for the great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was fun doing the marathon with you. Loved all your posts & not to forget the pictures.
    Roasting tomatoes is a nice way to freeze summer bounty. I don't have a garden but before every India trip I dice and throw a bag of tomatoes in the freezer. Usually these are leftover tomatoes & also now I do freeze d on purpose as I don't have to run to the store the very same day or the next day I get back from India. These usually stay fresh upto two months in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As soon my batch gets over I make a another one, my daughter loves these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fantastic, Pavani. Totally enjoyed the visual treats you have dished out this month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is simply awesome, now i want to make some soon..Slow roasted tomatoes looks absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great to have home produce and great tip too

    ReplyDelete
  11. very useful post and now i know how to preserve tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one helpful post when you have surplus tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips