Cook's Hideout: Bagara Baingan (Hyderabadi Baby Eggplants in Peanut-Coconut Gravy)

September 03, 2013

Bagara Baingan (Hyderabadi Baby Eggplants in Peanut-Coconut Gravy)

Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter B
Theme: A-Z Vegetarian Dishes from Andhra Pradesh
Dish: B for Bagara Baingan (Baghare Baingan)
Letter B stands for veggies like Beerakaya (ridgegourd), Bendakaya (lady's finger/ okra) and one of my favorite greens Bachalikura. B is also for Bellam or jaggery, a unrefined sweetener that is used widely in both savory and sweet dishes in A.P. 
With so many B's to choose from, I ended up choosing a dish that is very close to my heart (and tummy) and the city I'm from, Hyderabad. Hyderabadi cuisine is very famous for its Biryanis and other rich and delicious Mughal & Nizam influenced dishes. So being an eggplant lover, I couldn't think of anything else other than Bagara Baingan for the letter B. 
Bagara Baingan (Hyderabadi Baby Eggplants in Peanut-Coconut Gravy)
This dish used to be a part of almost all of the wedding menus and other functions. But there seems to be a change of trend these days and my beloved bagara baingan is hardly ever made. Which means it is time to make it right at home. I already posted my mom's recipe here. Today's recipe is adapted from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer.
Bagara Baingan (Hyderabadi Baby Eggplants in Peanut-Coconut Gravy)
Ingredients:
Baby Eggplants - 12 small, slit them ¾s of the way through by making an 'X'
Peanuts - ½cup (use the ones without skins, if available)
Sesame seeds - 2tbsp
Poppy seeds - 1tbsp
Whole Coriander seeds - 1tsp
Dry grated coconut - ½cup
Red Onion - 1 small, thinly sliced
Kashmiri red chili powder - 2tsp (or mix 1tsp cayenne with 1tsp sweet paprika)
Turmeric - ½tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chilies - 4, stems removed
Ginger + garlic paste - 2tsp
Tamarind paste - 2tbsp
Salt - to taste

Bagara Baingan (Hyderabadi Baby Eggplants in Peanut-Coconut Gravy)
Method:
  • Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Sprinkle in the peanuts and cook, stirring constantly until they turn lightly brown, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer them to a medium-size bowl.
  • Next sprinkle the sesame, poppy and coriander seeds into the same hot skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until they turn reddish brown and fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add the seeds to the peanuts.
  • Add the grated coconut to the skillet and toast until lightly browned, about 30 seconds. Add this to the peanut-spice mixture.
  • Heat 2tbsp oil to the skillet; add onions and stir fry until they turn lightly browned all over, about 7-10 minutes. Place these onions with the oil that's leftover on the peanuts mixture. Let cool slightly, then grind into a thick paste along with 1 cup of water, red chili powder, salt and turmeric.
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the eggplants and cover and cook until their skins blister and they are fork-tender, about 12-15 minutes. Transfer the eggplants to a plate.
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in the same skillet, add cumin seeds, curry leaves and the dry red chilies. Cook for 5-10 seconds. Immediately add ginger+garlic paste and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the paste turns light brown and has absorbed the colors and aromas from the skillet.
  • Now add the peanut-coconut paste along with ½cup of water. Add the eggplants and mix gently to coat them with the sauce. Reduce the flame to medium-low; cover the skillet and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the eggplants have absorbed the flavors from the gravy, about 5-10 minutes. Serve hot with steamed rice or bagara rice or roti.
Bagara Baingan (Hyderabadi Baby Eggplants in Peanut-Coconut Gravy)

Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32.

Previously on this Series:
A for Aava Pettina Aratikaya Kura
Signature

26 comments:

  1. Bagara Baingan looks delicious ! I just need few Chapatis or Paratha to finish that ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning pictures ..Looks like my family has to come over as house guests for the whole month :) !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love peanut base gravy.. I used to do this very often but it has been a while since made this.. Super clicks and tempting

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is too good!!! love the pictures too!!!

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  5. This baingan curry looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pavani, its interesting how you managed to have two words with the same letter..the gravy looks so tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  7. The baby aubergines look so delicious. I have book marked the recipe to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh Pavani, this looks so gorgeous! But I'm not a great baingan fan. Will have to replace it with some other veggie. Though people do tell me I'm missing something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bagara baingan looks absolutely creamy and highly inviting, my all time favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One lip smacking dish.. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you know my feelings about eggplant so I wont elaborate but the gravy sounds awesome

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love brinjal and this is promptly being bookmarked.
    Btw, Bachalikura link does not work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PJ. I fixed the link for Bachalikura now. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete
  13. I once saw the recipe in a TV show but never got a chance to try it. You have tempted me to try. It looks so inviting...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love brinjals in any form and your recipe sounds awesome. I have another one which is a little different. I shall try this once I am home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A treat for eggplant lovers. I was kind of guessing between this dish because I know that you love eggplants and bangala dumpa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so good pavani! Love the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love baingan too and your clicks are tempting me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tempting clicks..and a flavorful dish..wish could grab some.

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a stunner of a recipe - and delicious gravy too :) we are not that into eggplants, but this looks worth a real try !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your pics are so stunning I am finding it difficult to concentrate on the recipe.Seriously with a stunner of a recipe you should not be allowed to post equally stunning pics. Will come back after i munch on something and read the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I tried commenting after I had my snack but there was connectivity problems. I love the recipe Pavani its awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely recipe. I stopped making brinjal dishes as no one else at home likes it. Should ask them to look at yours for lil inspiration. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The baingan looks good and the clicks are great...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Scrumptious Curry..Looks very appealing..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips