Cook's Hideout: Mor Kuzhambu and Potato Curry

September 01, 2015

Mor Kuzhambu and Potato Curry

Buffet on Table: Week 1 -- Combos from Countries
Day 1: Mor Kuzhanbu & Potato Curry
We are starting our Mega marathon today and it's going to be a very very interesting September with lots of delicious International and Indian dishes. Theme for the first week is Combo dishes from different countries.
My first stop is in India, Tamil Nadu in particular. Ever since I saw this combo of mor kuzhambu with aloo/ potato curry in Sandhya's blog, I wanted to try it too. But since the husband is a yogurt-phobic, I was waiting for the right opportunity to make these dishes. Finally I made them while he was travelling and enjoyed all by myself :-)
Majjiga Pulusu & Alu kura
My mom makes majjiga pulusu too but the method is slightly different from the Tamil Nadu version. Even with my very limited Tamil knowledge, I think even mor kuzhambu literally means majjiga (buttermilk), pulusu (stew). Correct me if I'm wrong my dear Tamil friends :-)

Majjiga Pulusu & Alu Kura
This recipe for Mor Kuzhambu is from Dakshin cookbook by Chandra Padmanabhan. There were 2 versions for this dish in the book and I picked the easier one that didn't involve soaking dals. The soaked dal version sounds like my mom's version, I will try and post my findings some time.
Yogurt is thinned out and simmered with a spice paste. Served with rice and papad this Mor Kuzhambu and Potato curry combo is comforting and delicious.

Ingredients:
Curd - 2cups, whisked
Turmeric - ¼tsp
Salt - to taste
Veggie of choice - ¾cup, chopped (ash gourd, okra, aubergine, green pepper, green peas, skinned and cubed potatoes or arbi)

For Spice Paste:
Chana dal - 1½tbsp
Urad dal - 1¼tbsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1¼tbsp
Coriander seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chilies - 6
Asafoetida powder - ½tsp
Fresh Coconut - 3tbsp, grated
Ginger - ½" piece, grated

For the Tempering:
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Fenugreek seeds - ½tsp
Dry red chili - 1, halved
Curry leaves - 8~10

Method:
  • For the Spice paste: Heat 2tsp oil in a pan, fry chana dal, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, red chilies and asafoetida powder until fragrant and toasted. Cool for a little bit and grind into a smooth paste with coconut and ginger adding little water.
  • To the ground paste add the whisked yogurt, turmeric and salt. Beat till mixture is smooth.
  • Heat 2tsp oil and add the tempering ingredients. Once the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the veggie of choice and fry for a mixture. Add enough water to cover the vegetable, cover pan and simmer on low heat until tender.
  • Add the prepared yogurt mixture to the vegetable and heat it on low heat. Remove from heat when the kuzhambu just begins to boil. Take care not to let it curdle.
  • Serve hot with rice, potato curry and papad.
Majjiga Pulusu & Aloo Kura


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56


Signature

19 comments:

  1. very homey and comforting.. i am also starting the marathon with kuzhambu and potato fry, mine is kaara kuzhambu though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Pavani, you have been restless girl to post ahead..so wonderful..and needless to say your pictures are stunning!...this is definitely a superb lip smacking combination, you have chosen so well!..and yes you are right both Andhra and Tamil cuisines only slightly vary!..can't wait to see what you have cooked up..and drool over your sinful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This mor kuzhambu sounds a bit like my moms version.I must try this will love all the flavours u have described.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even I have that cook book. I have made quite a few recipes from her book. The combo looks inviting. I love the backdrop color.. :) and also the wooden server.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautifully you have presented the spread.The kuzhambu looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am yet to try this kadhi...your bowls are amazing and so is your photography

    ReplyDelete
  7. First thing beautiful props Pavani and the combo is a classic combination. Your pictures made me drool.... great start...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pictures with apt props. I am sure the combo is a classic one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like a flavorful combination. there is so much yogurt in Indian cuisine..how your husband must forebear it:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love mor kulambu and the potat is a perfect side dish for it. You have captured it well..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drooling over the dish, nice presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed this is a classic combo..Love, love love your props and click...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful props pavani and loved your picture, it's stunning.Great combo..but in our house, we paired mor kuzhambu with parrupu vada..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great way to start the BM with the traditional recipe. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know where to begin..ok first the clicks , they are awesome, very rustic atmosphere with stunning presentation, the props have taken my heart. Fantastic way to start the BM , loving the South combo too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that rustic props and they looks fabulous to kick start this long marathon.. South Indian combo makes me drool, a lipsmacking combination and definitely my kind of food.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful props pavani!! I can't take my eyes off that bowl!!!
    Morekuzhambu is my favorite and potato along is a great combo

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all seriously, where did you get these bowls in which you served the curry and kuzhambu? Really loving them. :)
    A great start to BM with that comforting meal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips