Cook's Hideout: Bengaluru vankaya Gravy Kura (Chayote gravy Curry)

January 10, 2007

Bengaluru vankaya Gravy Kura (Chayote gravy Curry)

I never understood why chayote is called bengaluru vankaya (literally translated as Bangalore brinjal) in telugu. I know for a fact that it is no where close to brinjal family, but I’m not sure of its relation with Bangalore. May be one of you can let me know the connection if you happen to know.
Anyway, the only way I used to cook chayote was sautéing the pieces in little bit of oil (it doesn’t need a whole lot of oil) and add grated coconut at the very end. But I learnt from various blogs that it can be cooked similar to bottle gourd or zucchini.
This recipe is from the aunt who lives next to our home in India.

Picture Courtesy Gourmet Sleuth
Ingredients:
Chayote – 2 medium, chopped

For the Masala paste:
Green chilies – 4
Red chilies – 2
Sesame seeds – ¼ cup
Coconut (fresh or dried) – 3 tbsp
Rice – 1 tsp, soaked in water for at least ½ hr
Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
Tamarind paste – 1 tbsp
Jaggery – 1 tbsp
Salt – ½ tsp

For Tempering:
Chana dal – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 6
Method:
  • Boil chayote pieces in water until tender. Alternately you can either pressure cook or microwave the pieces until tender.
  • Grind all the ingredients for the masala paste with water to make a smooth paste.
  • Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, add dal and seeds and when the seeds start spluttering, add curry leaves, boiled chayote and masala paste. Cover and cook on medium-low heat till the flavors mingle. Add water if you it gets too dry.
  • Season with salt and red chili powder (if needed). Serve with rice.
Chayote curry, Tomatillo pachadi and Red Lentil dal with Rice (our weekend meal)

13 comments:

  1. Hi Pavani, I like this veggie as it has got a sweet taste to. I prepared last week kootu with that. Very nice presentation. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Not being from India or U.S.A could you show me a photo or describe what a Chayote Vegie is?
    Tks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pavani,
    recently wehn i read a post of chayote recipe on Mahanandi of Indira, i also had the same question , why it is called banglore brinjal when it doesnt resemble anything to brinjals. :)
    your curry is totally new for me.
    i will look if i can get some fresh chayote here to make this dish .
    thanks for sharing
    -Pooja

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just left a comment ,but didn't go through!:(

    I was saying I will google it and let you know why about the name.I don't know either!
    I love this veggie and I will try your version.Sounds great.I have one in my draft too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I love chayote too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pavni, Beautiful recipe. I always used to wander what can you make out of this. Thank you so much buddy.
    -
    Seema

    ReplyDelete
  7. can you tell me how long does this tomatillo pachadi will last if you store it. And what other veg can you use in place of tomatillos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Viji.

    Hi Siddhu, I updated the post with the picture of chayote. Hope that helps.

    Hi Pooja, I guess we will never be able to figure out the Bangalore relation with Chayote ever.

    Hi Asha, ya.. googling didn't help me either. Guess have to leave it at that. :-( Would love to see your version of chayote curry.

    Thank you RP.

    Thanks Seema.. You'll definitely like this veggie.. Do try and let me know.

    Hi Anonymous, Tomatillo pachadi will last for almost a month in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Make sure that you keep moisture away from the bottle. You can use regular tomatoes that are firm, or Indian cucumber i/o tomatillo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a new recipe. I'll make it, if I find the vegetable. Looking yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pages here. Great information. Will visit again and recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did the recipe it turned out well, Thanks, do we need to fry sesame seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The recipe turned out nice, thanks, do we need to fry sesame seeds

    ReplyDelete
  13. In kannada chayote is called seeme badanekayi, literally meaning native brinjal. That could be the reason for Telugu people to call it Bangalore vankaya.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips