It's time for this month's BreadBakers' and the theme for this edition is Ancient Grains and is being hosted by Robin at A Shaggy Dough Story. Ancient grains are generally accepted to mean grains that have remained largely unchanged/un-hybridized over the last several hundred years, which means NO MODERN WHEAT.
Then I thought of making Indian flatbread with spelt flour. I have made rotis with spelt flour before but that recipe also had some wheat flour in it. These parathas are made with 100% spelt flour and added mashed sweet potato to make them nice and soft.
Spelt Sweet Potato Paratha (Makes 8~10 parathas)Ingredients:
- 2cups Spelt flour
- 1 Medium Sweet potato
- ½tsp Chili powder (adjust as per taste)
- ½tsp Ground Cumin
- 1tsp Oil or ghee
- To taste Salt
- Boil, steam or microwave sweet potato until very soft. Mash until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mashed sweet potato, spelt flour, chili powder, ground cumin, oil and salt. Mix well, add water a little at a time to make a soft, pliable dough. I added about ⅔~¾ cup of water.
- Cover and set the dough aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8~10 equal pieces. On a well floured surface, roll each piece into 5~6" round roti.
- Heat a griddle or tawa on medium-high heat. Cook each roti until golden brown spots form on both sides. Brush with more oil or ghee, if desired. Serve with a curry or pickle or yogurt.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.
Here's what our creative bakers came up with for this month's 'Ancient Grains' event:
- Ancient 4 Grain Breakfast Bread from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Ancient Grain Carrot Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Barley Flour Donut Muffins from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Blueberry Peach Quinoa Oatmeal Muffins from Magnolia Days
- Buckwheat Savoury Pancakes from Mayuri's Jikoni
- Dimbleby's Breastfeeding Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Eggless Sorghum and Pearl Millet Banana Muffins (Eggless Jowar and Bajra Banana Muffins) from G'Gina's Kitchenette
- Foxtail Millet Bagels from Cooking Club
- Garlic Cheesy Einkorn Crackers from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Injera Bread from Spiceroots
- Little Millet Banana Bread from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Millet Idli from Gayathri's Cook Spot
- Quinoa Banana Bread from Wholistic Woman
- Seeded Spelt Boules from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Spelt and Buckwheat Soda Bread from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Spelt and Einkorn Sourdough with Caramelized Onions from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Spelt Bread from Hostess at Heart
- Spelt Sweet Potato Paratha from Cook's Hideout
- Teff Crepes with Spinach and Mushrooms from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Yeasted Jowar Naan from Sneha's Recipe