Cook's Hideout: Spelt Sweet Potato Paratha for #BreadBakers

January 12, 2016

Spelt Sweet Potato Paratha for #BreadBakers

It's time for this month's BreadBakers' and the theme for this edition is Ancient Grains and is being hosted by Robin at A Shaggy Dough Story. Ancient grains are generally accepted to mean grains that have remained largely unchanged/un-hybridized over the last several hundred years, which means NO MODERN WHEAT. 
Spelt Paratha
I have to say this was probably the most challenging theme I have done for the BreadBakers. Finding ancient grains or even their flour was not the hard part, but finding a bread recipe with just ancient grains was hard. Also my family is not much into rustic breads, so my search for soft sandwich bread without any wheat flour turned up nothing.
Then I thought of making Indian flatbread with spelt flour. I have made rotis with spelt flour before but that recipe also had some wheat flour in it. These parathas are made with 100% spelt flour and added mashed sweet potato to make them nice and soft.
Spelt Paratha
Parathas turned out great, I added a little bit of chili powder and ground cumin to add some spice to the parathas. But you can leave them out and make it plain. I served the parathas with Palak Tofu for a filling and delicious meal.


Spelt Sweet Potato Paratha (Makes 8~10 parathas)
Ingredients:
  • 2cups Spelt flour
  • 1 Medium Sweet potato
  • ½tsp Chili powder (adjust as per taste)
  • ½tsp Ground Cumin
  • 1tsp Oil or ghee
  • To taste Salt
Method:
  1. Boil, steam or microwave sweet potato until very soft. Mash until smooth.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine mashed sweet potato, spelt flour, chili powder, ground cumin, oil and salt. Mix well, add water a little at a time to make a soft, pliable dough. I added about ⅔~¾ cup of water.
  3. Cover and set the dough aside for at least 15 minutes.
  4. Divide the dough into 8~10 equal pieces. On a well floured surface, roll each piece into 5~6" round roti.
  5. Heat a griddle or tawa on medium-high heat. Cook each roti until golden brown spots form on both sides. Brush with more oil or ghee, if desired. Serve with a curry or pickle or yogurt.
Spelt Paratha
BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

Here's what our creative bakers came up with for this month's 'Ancient Grains' event:
Signature

18 comments:

  1. I want to reach through the screen and grab one of these RIGHT NOW. They look awesome and I can't wait to try making them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. parathas look delicious. Adding sweet potato must have made them soft and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pavani your parathas look so tempting! Mmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously Pavani, these are gorgeous! I am definitely trying these! Love your add ins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea using sweet potatoes for the softness and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your paratha looks amazing! I would say that the spelt and sweet potato was a definite success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant idea to add the sweet potato, Pavani! I would make them exactly like this, chili and cumin and all. Simply perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful backdrop, wonderful styling and perfect clicks. What more can one ask?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet potato must have added a great flavor into these parathas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tempting and soft parathas, I sure they must have tasted delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting parathas with spelt flour. I am yet to try out this flour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy paranthas love it.........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your parathas are so rustic and such a beautiful sight Pavani!! I had recently eaten blueberry cake made out of spelt but I thought it was a mix of spelt & wheat but after reading your post I am confident that spelt will give great results (unlike most gluten free grains which are hard to work with). Awesome spread by the way! Palak tofu sounds so brilliant. Makes for a great gluten free-dairy free treat (BTW must share this post with my cousin who is gluten & dairy free) - thanks a million!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shireen. Just a quick clarification, spelt is not gluten free. It is an ancient wheat grain, so it is very similar to modern wheat and it has gluten in it.

      Delete
  14. I think I'm first time visiting your blog, thank to these beautiful spelt paratha recipe. Great work, Pavani! This baking challenge was quite inspirative for you, and for other fellow bloggers - they also made some great ancient grain recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks AWESOMEEEEEEEE!! I love paratha but augmented with sweet potato? It sounds perfect and so flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow what an awesome idea to add sweet potato to this amazing bread! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i just made these and they are frigging amazing! i steamed five small sweet potatoes. I sifted two cups of spelt flour with cumin, chili powder and coriander. I peeled the potatoes while hot and placed them in my food processor. I added the coconut oil and the flour and pulsed until I got a ball of dough. I then set it aside for 20 minutes and then separated it into golf sized balls and pressed it out with my tortilla press. Fried them in 1 tsp coconut oil in my non stick pan.... They are incredible................Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips