Cook's Hideout: Dosakaya Pachadi (Cuke Lemon Chutney)

September 05, 2013

Dosakaya Pachadi (Cuke Lemon Chutney)

Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter D
Theme: A-Z Vegetarian Dishes from Andhra Pradesh
Dish: D for Dosakaya Pachadi 
Letter D stands for veggies like Dondakaya (ivy gourd), Dosakaya (cuke lemon). D also stands for dishes like Dappalam which is a spicy, tangy stew made with toor dal and an assortment of veggies. Daddojam, spiced curd rice or Dalcha, a Hyderabadi lentil dish and so on.
Dosakaya Pachadi (Cuke Lemon Chutney)
I decided to make a traditional chutney recipe using dosakaya (cuke lemon). This is a very quick and simple chutney to make. Dosakaya is not cooked, it is finely chopped and mixed into ground tempering. A spicy, tangy and very tasty pachadi.
Dosakaya Pachadi (Cuke Lemon Chutney)
Ingredients:
Dosakaya - 1 large, peeled and chopped (remove the seeds if you don't like their crunch in the pachadi)
Tamarind paste - 2tbsp
Salt - to taste

For Tempering:
Chana dal - 1tsp
Urad dal - 1tsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Curry leaves - 6-8
Asafoetida/ Hing - ¼tsp
Green chilies - 4-5
Red Chilies - 2
Dosakaya Pachadi (Cuke Lemon Chutney)
Method:
  • Heat 2tsp oil in a small saute pan; add the dals and once they start to get golden, add mustard seeds and once the seeds start to splutter, add all the other tempering ingredients.
  • Use a blender or a mortar and pestle to coarsely grind the tempering along with dosakaya pieces, tamarind paste and salt. Serve with steamed rice.
This chutney can be stored in the refrigerator for upto 3 days.
Dosakaya Pachadi (Cuke Lemon Chutney)


Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32.
Previously on A-Z Vegetarian Dishes of Andhra Pradesh:
A for Aava Pettina Aratikaya Kura
B for Bagara Baingan
C for Chimmiri
Signature

27 comments:

  1. Omg, my mouth is just watering here..Cant take my eyes from ur clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of this one..sounds yum with all those flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mouthwatering! Even my mom recipe is similar to yours

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats an very interesting and flavorful pachadi :) looks super yummy :)love the way you have blended them in motor and pestle make it more inviting !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh though I cook with dosakaya, I have never made a pachadi this way. Our is different, will surely want to bookmark for later Pavani..thanks..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow just wowwwwwwwwwwwww lovely collection bookmarking everything u upload becoming ur great fan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very nice and am learning so many new dishes. Thanks to bm

    ReplyDelete
  8. This curry look so fantastic.. and tasty too

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is tongue tickling!!! so delicious!!!

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it. One of my husband's favorite pachadis. I make similar pachadi with cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. another new vegetable I have to look for

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is something new and interesting :) Also visit my space
    http://sweets-n-spices.blogspot.in/2013/09/mixed-veggie-bread-masala.html Hope u like it

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks very delicious But an ignorant's question, what is Cuke lemon?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just pass me a platter with some rice and ghee, I am all set. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my favorite chutney.. my recipe is as same as yours..:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very flavorful pachadi.Got to try this sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the mashed chutney! I like a little bit of texture in my chutnies and your look perfect :_

    ReplyDelete
  18. A new recipe.. very interesting. Looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A totally new recipe for me! Looks so tangy and yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow we get this heer but I have never tried making this pachadi. Bookmarking it its yum.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Every summer vacation in my school days I was showered with dosakaya recipes. For quite some time Secunderabad, always reminded me of dosakaya and pearls and nothing else. :) Lovely chutney!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We don't get dosakaya in Kerala or Chennai (or I have not been able to identify it)...How about updating this post with a picture of it the next time you make it :D? Not just for dosakaya, for other items too which are not that common...just a suggestion!

    Anyway, very beautiful pictures and I loved the chutney/pachadi even more because of the ease of making it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tongue tickling chutney..Drooling here..

    ReplyDelete
  24. wonderful information, I had come to know about your blog from my friend nandu , hyderabad,i have read atleast 7 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your website gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a ton once again, Regards, dosakaya pachadi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips