Bake-a-thon 2015: Day 5Bake of the Day: Wholewheat Banana Bread
I sometimes feel that overripe bananas are a bane of my existence. They haunt me with their lingering smell and I can't eat or throw them away. The family abandons them the minute they turn slightly blotchy outside even though they are perfect inside. I have learnt to show them only peeled ones so they don't judge it by the package.
Cookie and Kate:
Wholewheat Banana BreadIngredients:
- 1¾cups Wholewheat Pastry flour or regular wholewheat flour
- 1tsp Baking Soda
- ½tsp Salt
- ⅓cup Olive oil or melted coconut oil
- ½cup Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1cup Bananas, mashed (about 2~3 medium sized bananas)
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Large Eggs (I used 2tbsp egg replacer whisked with 6tbsp water)
- ½cup Chopped Nuts (I added almonds and raisins)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Combine flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat oil and honey (or maple syrup) together. Add the eggs (or egg replacer mixture) and beat well.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and vanilla, then stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Bake for 50 minutes to an 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack until completely cooled before slicing.