Cook's Hideout: Swedish Rice Pudding for #Food of the World

December 08, 2015

Swedish Rice Pudding for #Food of the World

We are going to Sweden for this month's edition of #Food of the World event. I have tried and posted quite a few Swedish recipes in the past, but I still have a lot bookmarked to try. Swedish Cinnamon rolls aka kanelbullar are on the top of that list. But I posted this sticky pecan bread today, so didn't want to make something similar again.
Swedish Rice Porridge
After searching for vegetarian Swedish recipes, I finalized this simple and easy to make Rice pudding aka Risgrynsgröt. Being a south Indian, rice based dishes are always welcome and this rice pudding is very similar to our very own paramannam except the Swedish version is spiced with cinnamon whereas the Indian version has cardamom.
Swedish Rice Porridge
From what I read, rice porridge/ pudding is an important dish in Sweden for many many years. It is served all through the year but it is always included as part of Christmas buffet. It is served dusted with cinnamon and an almond is hidden in the pudding. Whoever gets the almond gets to do a task and in the olden days, if a single man or woman found the almond, then it was a sign that the coming year would bring true love.
I found quite a few different recipes for this rice pudding, some with eggs, some with heavy cream and so on. This recipe is from here and it is without eggs or cream. All in all, this rice pudding is comforting and absolutely delicious. I stirred in some soaked raisins because I like them in my rice pudding :-)

Recipe from here:

Swedish Rice Pudding

Ingredients:
  • ½cup Rice (I used a medium grain rice)
  • 1cup Water
  • Pinch Salt
  • 2cups Milk (I used a mixture of whole and 1%)
  • 2~3tbsp Sugar
  • 2" Cinnamon Stick
  • ½tsp Ground Cinnamon
  • 2tbsp Raisins, soaked in warm water for 10~15 minutes (optional)
  • 1 Whole Almond (optional)
  • 1tbsp Unsalted butter
Method:
  1. In a heavy bottomed pan, combine rice, water and salt; bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 8~10 minutes.
  2. Add milk and cinnamon stick, simmer the mixture until all of the water is absorbed and rice is tender, stirring constantly, about 20~25 minutes.
  3. Once the rice is completely cooked through, turn off the heat and add the butter and sugar. Mix well. Stir in the drained raisins (if using). Cover and let sit for a few minutes before serving.
  4. Add the almond if serving during Christmas. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and serve warm or at room temperature.
Swedish Rice Porridge

Please visit our cohosts blogs and follow their sites! 

 


Submit your Swedish recipes using the linky tool below:

Signature

5 comments:

  1. I love all types of rice pudding and I remember reading somewhere the story about the almond - your photos are styled so beautifully - I especially like the first one with the xmas lights in the background

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love a bowl of this right now. It's simple and I think I'd try to veganize this by using almond milk and vegan spread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hidden almond and I would never have guessed that a rice dish is traditional in Sweden. So cool, pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been craving for rice pudding and this one looks delicious... it is amazing how many variants are there in different forms... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what beautiful pics Pavani. lovely recipe too

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips