Cook's Hideout: Fulkopi Posto (Bengali Cauliflower curry with poppy seeds)

April 07, 2016

Fulkopi Posto (Bengali Cauliflower curry with poppy seeds)

BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines 
Week 1: Bengali Cuisine
Day 6: F for Fulkopi Posto (Bengali Cauliflower curry with poppy seeds)
Here's another different way of cooking with veggies, the Bengali way. First up was a simple mixed vegetables flavored with just panch phoron, then it was okra in a spicy yogurt sauce and today it is cauliflower cooked in creamy poppy seed gravy.
Bengali Cauliflower curry with poppy seeds
Letter F was one of the tough letters to find a dish. Initially I wanted to make 'Fuchka', a Bengali variation of our beloved pani puri. But then after looking at couple of recipes, I wasn't sure if it was puchka, phuchka or fuchka. With so much ambiguity, I left it at that (but I still have a pack of store-bought puris waiting to be used). Then I thought of making Fuluri, a lentil based bajji but I wasn't in a mood to deep fry, so finally chose a simpler and easier to make dish.
Bengali Cauliflower curry with poppy seeds
F for Fulkopi or cauliflower in Bengali. Posto or poppy seeds is a popular ingredient in Bengali cooking. I have already tried bittergourd posto and potato-eggplant posto. This cauliflower posto is very easy to make, cook cauliflower with ground spiced poppy seed sauce. It tastes great with rice or roti. Most of the recipes I saw online also had potato in them, but I skipped it and made the curry with only cauliflower. So add potato if you want to.

Recipe from Aparna's Akcookbook:

Fulkopi Posto
Ingredients:
  • 1 Medium head of Cauliflower, cut into florets
  • ½cup Green Peas
  • 2tsp Mustard Oil
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • ½tsp Nigella Seeds
  • 2~3 Green Chilies, slit
  • 1tbsp Cashews, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
  • 1tsp Peppercorns
  • 1tbsp Poppy Seeds, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
  • ½" Cinnamon stick
  • 2tbsp Yogurt, whisked well
  • To taste Salt
Cooking Directions:
  1. Steam or microwave cauliflower until fork tender.
  2. Drain the cashews, poppy seeds and grind them to a smooth paste along with the peppercorns and cinnamon stick.Set aside.
  3. Heat oil in a pan; add the bay leaf, nigella seeds and green chilies. Saute for 1 minute. Next add the steamed cauliflower and cook for 3~4 minutes.
  4. Add the ground paste, green peas and cook until the flavors get a chance to mingle, about 4~5 minutes.
  5. Stir in the yogurt and season with salt. Sprinkle some water if the dish looks too dry. Cook covered for another 5 minutes. Serve with rice or roti.
Bengali Cauliflower curry with poppy seeds


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63



Signature

22 comments:

  1. Fulkopi seem to rule today..nice and simple dish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nice flavourful curry. I have used poppy seeds in kurma which gives a rich texture to the dish. Though this is a dry version, it looks so irresistible...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cauliflower posto looks yummy. I like cauliflower dry curry but husband likes it only in shorva. Next time I will try this with leftover florets after preparing shorva for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cauliflower with cashews.. Yummy. Sounds and looks delicious. I have to try this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea that gobi is cooked in posto sauce too. Another great option to cookmgobi, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an aromatic dish this. Love the flavors of this subzi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My choice is also cauliflower for F Fulkopi posto looks so delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love slightly roasted cauliflower. Amazing share. Seems like todays heroes are fulkopi, fenugreek and filter coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent dish..I am book marking the Bangla recipes ...hopingly will make a thali soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Same pinch Pavani and what a coincidence even I chose,I mean made fuchka but dropped the idea of using it as I was also confused if it is Puchka or Fuchka.Love your version of poshto and it looks so beautiful .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fulkopi curry with some rotis makes a prefect meal, cant wait to make this bengali curry soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome looking curry with cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dishes are getting more and more interesting as the days go by. Loving this Bengali Marathon! As usual, I love the clicks in this post too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great .. Addition of poppy seeds truly makes it richer

    ReplyDelete
  15. Must be a delicious and flavorful cauliflower curry..Love those spices added in the curry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bengalis Love poppy seeds I guess. It has an important place in their cuisine. Nice choice for F!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious curry and beautiful props :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this few mnonths back when I did Bengali theme and loved it entirely - of course your version is better photographed than mine ;) - I am sure you loved it as much as I did

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely flavors pavani. Love how amazingly u have captured the pale colored cauliflower so amazingly. That wooden spoon looks very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice fulkopi curry. loved the combination with peas... And nice wooden spoon in those pics...

    ReplyDelete
  21. All the varities of cauliflower posto looks tempting. Awesome clicks Pavani

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips