Cook's Hideout: Aam Panna (Green Mango Juice)

May 12, 2013

Aam Panna (Green Mango Juice)

Blogging Marathon# 28: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Mango Special Dishes
Dish: Aam Panna (Panha) Raw Mango Juice
I'm used to making and drinking juices/ milkshakes and smoothies made with ripe mangoes only. So making this juice with raw green mango took me this long. I've seen recipes for aam panna (panha) on Nupur's blog, on Valli's blog and I bookmarked them to try, but kept postponing since I wasn't sure how it would turn out. Finally I took the leap and saved 1 raw mango to make this summer favorite drink.
Aam Panna (Panha)
I followed Nupur's recipe and since we like things a little sweet in our household I added a little more jaggery than recommended in her recipe. I'm so glad I finally tried it -- it's sweet, tart and oh-so refreshing. I'm sure it's the perfect drink on a sweltering summer afternoon.
Aam Panna (Panha)
This drink can be made either sweet or savory. Valli's recipe uses black salt (kala namak), ground cumin and pepper powder to give spicy kick to the panna (panha). I've also seen a recipe that had ground fennel in it. So its totally up to your taste whether you want to take the sweet or the savory route.
Mango can be peeled, chopped and then cooked jaggery until syrupy in consistency. Alternately pressure cook the whole mango, then peel and mix the pulp with melted jaggery.
Aam Panna (Panha)
Ingredients:
Raw Green Mango - 1 medium, peeled and diced
Jaggery - ½cup 
Salt - ¼tsp
Ground Cardamom - ½tsp

Method:

  • Combine mango cubes with jaggery and salt in a sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until mango is very tender and jaggery is completely melted, about 20-25 minutes.
  • Then using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend the mixture to a smooth pulpy consistency.
  • If the pulp looks too stringy, strain it through a sieve. Mine was pretty smooth, so I didn't strain the pulp.
  • Mix 2-3tbsp of the pulp with cool water for a refreshing Aam Panha. Enjoy!!
    Aam Panna (Panha)

Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 28.
Signature

15 comments:

  1. Love your pictures Pavani, the glasses are so cute!..and I love aam panna..must make it again..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this tongue tickling juice...Refreshing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here. This drink still intrigues me whenever I see on blogs. Looks yummy though through your lens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious green mango juice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the presentation. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that beautiful Color!!! I have never tasted or tried them, i think it is high time i make this delicious drink!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made the pulp for these and have to make this drink..in fact we always have it ready so just have a glass before going out.perfect drink for this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time I heard about this in Vallis page, me too wondered about the taste bookmarked try this when I get raw mangoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so refreshing...lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely presentation! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really happy with my green drink. I've always taken in green superfood, but I feel that this one was pretty good for the price. So far so good! It is a stronger formula as far as taste, but I like it.
    Green supplements

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mangoooo! Never tried to make a juice out of it. Now I have so great desire to try it! Thanks to my best juicers for greens I can do it whatever I want!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips