Bake-a-thon 2015: Day 8
Bake of the Day: Chocolate-Caramel Sandwich Cookies
I made these cute little chocolate-caramel sandwich cookies for my daughter's Halloween party in school. They were quite a hit and all her teachers wanted the recipe. The recipe is from Martha Stewart site.
Chocolate Caramel Sandwich CookiesIngredients:
- 1½cups All purpose flour
- ½cup Cocoa powder
- 1tsp Baking powder
- ½tsp Baking Soda
- ½tsp Salt
- 10tbsp (1¼ sticks) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1⅓cups Sugar
- 1 Egg yolk (I used 1½tsp whisked with 1½tbsp water)
- 2tbsp Caramel Sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 6tbsp Unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾cup Confectioners Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375, with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Stir in the egg yolk or egg replacer mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into butter until a dough forms.
- Drop dough by level teaspoons and roll into balls and place them 1" apart onto 2 parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake until cookies are puffed and cracked, about 8 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Remove sheets from oven and tap firmly on a counter to flatten cookies. Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool completely.
- Make the frosting: Beat caramel and butter in a small bowl until smooth; gradually beat in confectioners sugar until smooth.
- Spread frosting on flat side of half the cookies and top with the remaining cookies.
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2015.