Cook's Hideout: Doi Dharosh (Bengali Okra in Yogurt gravy)

April 05, 2016

Doi Dharosh (Bengali Okra in Yogurt gravy)

BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines 
Week 1: Bengali Cuisine 
Day 4: D for Doi Dharosh (Bengali Okra in Yogurt gravy)
D for Dharosh or Dhyarosh in Bengali has 2 meanings, one is our beloved okra/ bhindi/ ladies finger and the other not-so-nice meaning is someone who's lazy and clumsy. But I am only talking about D for Okra/ bhindi today.
Bengali Okra in Yogurt gravy
Doi in bengali means yogurt and in this dish okra is cooked in a spicy yogurt sauce. I was planning to make it when my husband was traveling, so I don't have to make him eat a yogurt based dish. But alas I had to make it when he was around and I made sure that he had something else to eat. I didn't tell him that this dish had yogurt in it and was surprised that he served himself a second serving. I kept quiet and didn't tell him about the secret ingredient :-)
Bengali Okra in Yogurt gravy
So this dish is sure to be a hit with everyone except for those who don't like okra. It tastes great with rice. Like most of my Bengali recipes, this one is also from Sandeepa's blog.

Recipe from Sandeepa's Bongmom Cookbook:

Doi Dharosh

Ingredients:
  • 18~20 Okra/ Bhindi/ Dharosh, washed, dried and chopped into big pieces
  • 1 Small Onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2~3 Green Chilies
  • 2tbsp Yogurt
  • 8 Cashews
  • 1 Bay Leaf
  • 2 Cardamom pods
  • 2 Cloves
  • 1" Cinnamon stick
  • ¼tsp Turmeric
  • ½~1tsp Kashmiri Red Chili powder
  • To taste Salt
Method:
  1. Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan; add the okra and saute until tender. Sprinkle with turmeric and salt. Mix well and remove onto a plate.
  2. In the meantime, grind the onion, green chilies, cashews and yogurt into a smooth paste.
  3. In the same pan that the okra were fried, heat 1tbsp oil and add bay leaf, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon. Once the spices turn fragrant, about 30 seconds, add the ground paste, turmeric, chili powder and cook on low heat for 5~6 minutes, stirring occasionally or until it doesn't smell raw anymore.
  4. Next add the sauteed okra and mix well with the masala. Add some water if the curry looks too dry. Cook for another 2~3 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Season with salt and simmer for 1 more minute. The gravy should be thick by this time. Turn off the heat.
  5. Serve with rice or roti and Enjoy!!
Bengali Okra in Yogurt gravy


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


Signature

21 comments:

  1. Omg, this okra gravy looks fabulous, simply irresistible to enjoy thoroughly without any fuss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Padma and You have similar dishes today ... This looks soooo inviting Pavani :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah you managed to make your hubby eat this and like it too..:)..doi seem to be the popular one for today...I am sure this one must have tasted awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this in Padma's blog too. The curry with curd and okra sounds so tasty..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I feels nice when family eats the dish without knowing the secrete ingredient. :) I usually make a stir fry with okra and pulusu once in a while. I guess it is time to try something new with this humble vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same pinch pavani that looks so beautiful Doi dharosh taste too good we enjoyed it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love yogurt based curries. This one looks so tempting that I have to try it soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious looking Doi Dharosh Pavani:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with all the dahi based dishes. We love okra and dahi based gravies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yogurt plays a major role in bengali cuisine right? flavorful gravy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love eating dahi with okra fry and when cooked with yogurt it must have tasted heavenly.Nice choice and lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a fan of yogurt based dishes,sounds interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pavani, this is so good. Pretty similar to the bhindi kadhi we make in Gujarati cuisine. Amazing dish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are a bunch of people who love okra and yogurt based dishes. :) And I am bookmarking this to try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow what a delicious okra curry ! I have tried this from Bong mom's too and it tasted amazing . Excellent choice and fantastic dish .

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one fantastic combo of bhendi and yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. okra is one of my fave veggies and after seeing this recipe so many times today this is one I must try

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made it for the last marathon. You're tempting me to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow so creamy this okra looks...

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a delicious okra cur. Looks so good

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips