Cook's Hideout: Raw Mango Salad with Moong Dal (Mango Kosambari)

May 10, 2013

Raw Mango Salad with Moong Dal (Mango Kosambari)

Blogging Marathon# 28: Week 2/ Day 1
Theme: Mango Special Dishes
Dish: Raw Mango Salad with Moong Dal
We start our 2nd week of Blogging Marathon today and my theme for this week is "Mango Special dishes". It's not summer yet in our neck of woods, but nothing can stop us from enjoying mangoes. We get mangoes all round the year but the taste of summer mangoes cannot be beat, in my opinion. 
For this week, I have tried 3 new recipes with raw green mangoes that I've never made before. I usually make dal or rice or pickle with raw mango. But I wanted to try raw mango in completely different form for this week.
So for the first day I made this raw mango salad with moong dal and grated coconut. I have made salad with ripe mango, but never with raw mango. My husband loves to eat raw mango and this salad was so fresh and refreshing that I couldn't stop myself from eating it by the spoonfuls.
Ingredients:
Green Mango - 1 medium, grated
Moong dal - 1cup
Fresh Grated Coconut - 1cup (I used frozen, thawed grated coconut)
Green chilies - 2, finely chopped (adjust as per taste)
Cucumber - 1 medium, peeled and grated
Cilantro - ¼ cup, finely chopped
Salt - to taste

For Tempering:
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chili - 2
Curry leaves - 8-10
Asafoetida (hing) - ¼tsp

Method:

  • Soak moongdal for at least 2 hours. Drain the water and add to a bowl.
  • Next add grated mango, coconut, green chilies, cucumber, cilantro and salt. Mix well.
  • For tempering: Heat 1tsp ghee in a small saucepan; add mustard seeds, dry red chili, hing and curry leaves. Once the seeds start to splutter, add tempering to the salad. Mix well and serve either at room temperature or chilled.

Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 28.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. My favorite salad. Love the pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy and tangy salad ,love it anytime. Todays Post :http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in/2013/05/spicy-pumpkin-soup-italian-style.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the presentation. I think it is a trditional dish and I have seen some Kannadigas adding grated mango to their Kosumbaris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how much I love this salad. it is so hearty and refreshing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never really eat green mango, but this looks so refreshing to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raw mango kosambari is a lovely idea!! Love the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the picture Pavani, so inviting..and the colour co ordination worked out so well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good one for this season, healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The combination is great & ur pics are too good

    ReplyDelete
  10. Salad looks so tempting and inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome!!! Love the last click!!!! I make this almost every friday for our weekend relaxed lunch!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips