Cook's Hideout: Eggless Chocolate Cake with Jam for a Celebration

May 31, 2013

Eggless Chocolate Cake with Jam for a Celebration

May is a month of celebration in my real home and also in my virtual home. It happens to be my birthday month (yup.. I'm a tough Taurean :-) ) and of course there's Mother's day celebrations. It is also my blog anniversary month -- Cook's Hideout has completed 7 years of blogging. 
Blogging years seem to me like dog years. There are a quite a few blogs that were active at one time, but are no longer virtually alive. I feel like a veteran among many new and upcoming food bloggers. I have to thank my family for their support and patience without whom I wouldn't have been blogging for so long. I was telling my mom the other day that I cook and eat well even when I'm alone because of my blog. 
Eggless Chocolate Cake with Jam
Big thanks to Valli, the master mind behind Blogging marathon and all my fellow marathoners for their infectious enthusiasm.

I have never made a cake for myself, but this time I wanted to use the skills I learnt in my Wilton cake decorating class. Also I wanted to try one of the chocolate frosting recipes that I had pinned on Pinterest. This frosting uses some uncommon ingredients like cooked flour and granulated sugar along with other regulars liek butter and cocoa. It is a little time consuming to make, but the end result is well worth the effort -- its not too sweet and not too greasy. I thought it went perfectly with the chocolate cake. Do give this cake a try!!!!!
Eggless Chocolate Cake with Jam
Coming to today's cake, recipe is adapted from 'Vegan with a Vengeance' by Isa Chandra. I modified the recipe just a little bit to include wholewheat pastry flour and reduced the quantity of sugar.

Ingredients:
All purpose flour (maida) -  1cup
Wholewheat pastry flour - ½cup (or just use 1½cups of all-purpose flour)
Dutch processed Cocoa powder - ½cup
Baking powder - 1tsp
Baking soda - 1tsp
Salt - ½tsp
Soy milk or any other dairy or non-dairy milk - 1½cups
Oil - ½cup
Jam - ½cup (you can use raspberry, strawberry or cherry preserves)
Sugar - 1cup (I made once with ¾cup of sugar and it still tasted good)
Vanilla extract - 2tsp
Eggless Chocolate Cake with Jam

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 2 8" round cake pans. I used my heart shaped cake pan.
  • Sift together the flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. 
  • Combine the milk, oil, jam, the vanilla and the sugar in a large bowl and mix it well with a fork. The jam should be mostly dissolved with the rest of the ingredients; some small lumps are fine.
  • Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in batches and mix until everything is incorporated. 
  • Divide the batter between the 2 prepared pans and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick or a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
  • Remove from the pan and let cool in pans for 10-15 mins, then run a knife around the cake and remove onto a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Eggless Chocolate Cake with Jam
Signature

8 comments:

  1. first time here... So gr8 7years of blogging... Happy blogging... the cake looks so so yumm n adding jam is unique...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake looks AWESOME!!! Wow... I love cakes with jam! The jam makes a huge difference! I'm bookmarking this recipe for the future!!
    xox Am

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful!! Love that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. gorgeous cake. what piping!! Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow 7 years Pavani, that's awesome..you know I enjoy your space so much right...Wish you many many years of Blogging...and happy birthday to you too..:)..the cake looks stunning..as I said in FB..will surely make this for the kids, as the recipe sounds amazing..and yes you have out your decorating skills to good use..only yesterday when I made a cake for my mom's bday, kids were forcing me to write and I was only thinking of vanilla cream...wish I had thought of the chocolate itself..looks good..

    ReplyDelete
  6. True Pavani. Many of the bloggers from my initial days are no more active and I do miss some of them. Love your blog and Congrats.I truly wish you many many more such milestones in the future.
    And BTW you have prepared a lovely cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! 7 years :-), that is an achievement indeed!! Congratulations Pavani :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips