Cook's Hideout: Sesame Rice (Nuvvulannam/ Ellu Saadam)

May 24, 2013

Sesame Rice (Nuvvulannam/ Ellu Saadam)

Blogging Marathon# 28: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: BM Pairs
Dish: Sesame Rice/ Ellu Saadam from Veena's Veg Nation
My theme for the last week of BM# 28 is "Cooking from BM members" and Valli paired us with 3 of the BM members, so I will be cooking from one of them each day for the next 3 days. All the 3 blogging buddies I have been paired with have been blogging for a long time and have ton of recipes that I'd like to try. Picking just one recipe was a very difficult task and I spent quite some time browsing through their pages  and it was mind boggling on how many options I had. 
So finally I decided that I need to have a theme (of sorts) to pick the recipes and since I was cooking for myself (again) this week, I looked for recipes that were (almost) one-pot and didn't leave me with a lot of leftovers. That made my search a little easier and I was able to narrow it down based on the ingredients in my fridge and pantry.
Sesame Rice (Nuvvulannam/ Ellu Saadam)

So for the first day, I'm cooking from Veena's blog Veena's Veg Nation. Veena has tons of traditional dishes and eggless bakes along with other delicious dishes. Based on my criteria, I found this simple and easy to make sesame rice or ellu sadam. All you need to make is the sesame spice powder and cook the rice, then the meal will be ready in no time.
Sesame Rice (Nuvvulannam/ Ellu Saadam)
Ingredients:
Rice - 1 cup

For Sesame Spice Powder:
White Sesame seeds - ¼cup
Fresh grated coconut - 3tbsp (optional, but highly recommended)
Urad dal (Minapappu) - 3tbsp
Dry red chilies - 6-8
Salt - to taste

For Tempering:
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cashews - 1tbsp
Curry Leaves - few

Method:

  • Cook rice so that the grains are separate and not mushy. Set aside to cool.
  • In a small saute pan; dry roast sesame seeds until golden. This doesn't too long, so keep an eye on it and stir frequently. Remove into a bowl.
  • In the same pan, dry roast coconut (if using) for 1-2 minutes. Do not let the coconut change color. Remove into the bowl along with sesame seeds.
  • In the same pan, add 1tsp oil and roast urad dal and red chilies until dal turns golden. Let cool and grind into a powder along with sesame seeds, grated coconut (if using) and salt.
  • Add the spice powder to the cooked rice. Mix well.
  • In a small saute pan, heat 1tbsp oil and add tempering ingredients. Once mustard seeds start to splutter, add it to the rice and mix well. Enjoy as is or with a side dish. I had mine with walnut chutney
Sesame Rice (Nuvvulannam/ Ellu Saadam)
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today for BM# 28.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. Delicious rice,luks tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful rice...looks quick and easy to make

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a very quick and easy flavourful one pot meal..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sesame flavors & with rice it must be so aromatic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice and refreshing rice recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Authentic food. Good to know this recipe, I love to prepare this for prasadam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen lots of versions of this one. looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rice looks really nice..love thw sesame crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious flavour...and simple to make..

    ReplyDelete
  10. A simple yet very flavourful rice. I am reminded of the good old days when I used to go to the temple just to have this prasadam. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips