Cook's Hideout: Sago Murukku (Saggubiyyam/ Sabudana Murukulu)

May 13, 2013

Sago Murukku (Saggubiyyam/ Sabudana Murukulu)

Recipe Courtesy: My Dear friend Yagna Jyothy

Here's another crunchy and delicious snack recipe from Jyothy. Here's what she said on how and what made her make these murukkus for her daughter Raaga:"Cheese puffs are my husband's favorite junk food and he keeps them stocked at home much to my annoyance. Raaga has been munching on them lately and it got to a point where she has to have a handful of them EVERY evening while I make dinner. I decided that if she must eat junk, it might as well be something homemade- and somehow minimize the junk factor. Put in a call to my mom and got this recipe. Raaga has not eaten cheese puffs since I made these. My next goal would be to move from murkulu to fresh veggies for a pre-dinner snack, although that may just be my wishful thinking."
Sago Murukku

On one of the Telugu cooking shows (Abhiruchi on Etv), a doctor explains the nutritional values of dishes that were made that day and she mentioned that our traditional dishes that are deep fried are still better than buying junk food with tons of preservatives and empty calories from the store.

Ingredients
Rice Flour - 3cups 
Tapioca (saggubiyyam/ sago/ sabudhana) - 1cup, soaked in yogurt for an hour 
Ajwain (Vaamu/ Carom seeds) - Spoonful
Butter - 1/2 a stick
Chili powder - 1/2tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - fry 

Method:
  • Combine all of the ingredients into a dough using water if necessary (leftover yogurt from tapioca can be used too). The consistency should be somewhat wetter than a typical roti dough.
  • Lightly oil the muruku mold, press the dough into desired shape and fry till golden brown.
  • Remove onto a paper lines plate and enjoy when cooled. Store in an airtight container.
Sago Murukku
It is best to not wait for too much longer than an hour of soaking tapioca before making these as the muruku might crumble and not hold the shape otherwise.

This goes to Valli's Kid's Delight: 5 Ingredient fix event being held right here. You have 2 more days to send in your entries. So hurry up and send them in.
Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips