Cook's Hideout: Raw Mango Masala Curry

May 11, 2013

Raw Mango Masala Curry

Blogging Marathon# 28: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Mango Special Dishes
Dish: Raw Mango Masala Curry
For the 2nd day under "Mango Special dishes", I made Raw Mango curry. Like I said in my previous post, I have never tried any curry dishes with mango. So when I saw this being made on a Telugu cooking show, I noted it down knowing very well that I'll be trying it soon for BM. 
The highlight of the curry is the freshly ground masala (spice paste) that is added and it is flavorful and spicy. This masala can be used with other vegetables to make delicious curries.
Ingredients:
Raw Mango - 1 medium, peeled and diced
Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
Turmeric - ¼tsp
Jaggery - 2tbsp
Salt - to taste

For the Masala (Spice Paste):
Dry Grated Coconut - 3tbsp
Cumin seeds - 2tsp
Coriander seeds - 1½tbsp
Dry Red chilies - 4-6 (adjust according to taste)
Garlic cloves - 2
Ginger - 1" piece, grated

Method:
  • Make the Spice paste: Grind all the ingredients listed under Masala into a smooth paste adding some water if needed.
  • To make the Curry: Heat 2tbsp oil in a saute pan, add the chopped onions and cook until they turn translucent, about 4-5 minutes. 
  • Add turmeric, mango pieces and masala paste. Mix well and add ½ cup water and salt, cover the pan and cook until mango is cooked and fork tender. Mango doesn't have to be cooked for too long, it should still keep its shape, so cook for about 8-10 minutes tops.
  • Finally add jaggery and cook for another 2 minutes. Serve with steamed rice.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 28.
Signature

11 comments:

  1. Spicy and tangy curry.. looks fantastic !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have never eaten a mango curry and somewhat surprised to see that too a masaledaar one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i never used mango in a curry..this sounds interesting and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mango curry?? very interesting!! I should also try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very interesting Pavani, I have also never actually made a curry with mango other than dals..looks good..it may not go so well with rotis right..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woow..Craving for this tangy curry..Looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Curry!!! Love those green bowls, Stoneware, if i m correct? My eyes are going str8 to the bowls than the curry!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. would love to try this!!..super one:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been a green mango eater but these photos look so good - makes me actually want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good one, mostly I use this mango for sambar, feels to taste it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips