Cook's Hideout: Pesara Garelu (Moong dal Vada)

October 20, 2006

Pesara Garelu (Moong dal Vada)

Wish you all a very Happy Deepavali.

Pulihora (tamarind/lemon/mango rice) and garelu (vada) are the most frequently made festival food in our household. I think it’s the same case in most of the South Indian families.
My attempts in making garelu have not been very successful. First attempt failed because of too much water in the batter and I ended up making punukulu (after adding almost a cup of rice flour). Next time, I made sure that I don’t add too much water, but for some strange reason, my garelu were really hard. When I was almost on the verge of giving up my quest for making garelu, I stumbled upon these pesarapappu garelu. This recipe is from an old telugu (Eenadu) newspaper.

Ingredients:
Pesalu (Green moong dal) – 1 cup
Minapappu (Urad dal) – ½ cup
Green chilies – 8
Ginger – 2” piece
Cumin seeds – 1tbsp
Salt – to taste

Method:
  • Soak moong and urad dal, separately, overnight. In the morning, grind them into smooth batter with green chilies, cumin, ginger and salt.
  • Heat about 1½ to 2 cups of oil (I used canola oil) on medium-high flame. When the oil is hot enough, flatten a lemon size batter either on your palm or on a plastic Ziploc bag, make a small hole in the middle, slowly slide the batter into the hot oil. Fry the vadas on medium flame on both sides, till slightly golden brown.
  • Serve hot with any chutney (tomato, coriander, ginger, mint or good old coconut).
This is my entry for VKN's VCC Q3 2006: Festival Food event and this month's JFI: Festival Food hosted by lovely Vee at Past, Present and Me.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Pavani,

    Subha Deepavali to you and your family!

    About vadas - same in our home too. We usually prepare vada or bajji with pulihora. They bring something extra to the pulihora experience, don't they?:)

    Vada looks mouthwatering, Pavani. Thanks for particiapting in JFI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds delicious....will try thsi some time..a very happy diwali to u and your family pavani:-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our festive food always - Garelu(Vada) and Payasam.
    Pesara garelu looks delicious.
    Pesara Punugulu are famous in our house. I never tried pesara garelu,....ll try soon.

    Deepavali Subhakanshalu!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pavani,
    Different type of Wada to try.
    Thanks for sharing. Wishing you and your family" Happy Diwali"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Deepavali Pavani !

    I have the same problem with garelu, surprisingly the first two times I made them I got the correct consistency but the third time I had to make punukulu, and yaa adding rice flour dint help me either. I have never tried garelu with pesarapappu..will give it a try next time. Thank you for the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pavani
    Pesara vadalu look great! It has been a long time since I made these..
    My first few attempts at gaarelu making were a failure too..but now I don't have a problem..trick is to add just the enough amount of water(not too much not too little). I always use ziploc bags to make vada instead of banana leaf(since I can't get it here) and rub water on the bag before making vada on it, also wet my hand with water as I press the vada and as I separate it from the bag to fry it in the oil(works like a charm all the time).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a tough time making these,too. But, using the try and try till you succeed method, I churn otu decent ones now.

    Nice to see them again!! Long time since I made them

    Thanks for participating!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips