Cook's Hideout: Swedish Limpa (Rye Bread)

April 06, 2015

Swedish Limpa (Rye Bread)

BM# 51 -- Baking Marathon: Day 5
Bake of the Day: Swedish Limpa (Rye Bread)
I love trying out new ingredients and when I go to a grocery store, I feel like a kid in a toy store. I go with 2~3 things in mind to buy and end up with buying way more than that. So on one of my trips to Whole Foods, I picked up Whole grain Rye flour because I thought I saw seeing a recipe with it. But as luck might have it, I was actually imagining that recipe and couldn't find anything.
Swedish Limpa (Rye Bread)
Hence the flour sat in the pantry for quite sometime, until I saw this Swedish Limpa or Rye Bread recipe in King Arthur catalog. The use of caraway & fennel seeds gives this bread the unmistakable rye flavor. I reduced the quantity of both the spices because I wasn't sure if we'll like the strong flavor. There's also some orange oil added to the dough making it very fragrant. The house smelled amazing when this bread was baking.

Swedish Limpa (Rye Bread)
All in all the bread turned out great. It has a nice soft crumb and is mildly spiced. It tasted great with some butter and pepper jelly. My son ate it with his favorite Nutella and loved it.

Recipe adapted from Kig Arthur Flour:
Ingredients:
Bread Flour - 2¼cups
White Wholewheat Flour - ½cup
Rye Flour (or pumpernickel flour) - ½cup
Dark Corn Syrup - ¼cup (I used 3tbsp Light Corn syrup + 1tbsp Molasses)
Instant Yeast - 2½tsp
Caraway, Fennel & Anise seeds - 1½tsp each (I skipped anise seeds and used only 1tsp each of caraway & fennel seeds)
Orange Oil - ¼tsp
Salt - 1½tsp
Powdered Milk (Dry milk powder) - ¼cup
Lukewarm Water - 1cup
Unsalted Butter - ¼cup, softened

Method:
  • Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer until a rough dough forma. Knead until the dough is smooth and satiny.
  • Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until the dough is puffy but not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  • Gently deflate the dough and shape into a ball. Place it in a greased 9" pie plate or if you are fancy, then put it in a cloche baker. Flatten it slightly and cover with the cloche lid or cover with a greased plastic wrap.
  • Allow the dough to rise for 75~90 minutes, until noticeably puffy.
  • Preheat the oven to 400°F.
  • Bake the limpa for 35~40 minutes or until the top is golden brown. 
  • Remove from the oven and slide the bread out of the pan on to a wire rack and let cool completely before slicing.

21 comments:

  1. amazing bread.. I like the last pic with the fruit preserve :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same when I am in whole Foods and picking things that I don't know what to do with. :) Somehow I avoided the temptation of buying rye flour since wasn't sure whether we are going like the taste.
    You are coming up with all lovely breads this marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing the variety of breads you bake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The array of flours in Whole Foods makes me want to try them all. I love the dense crumb of the rye but have not had too much success with flavor. Maybe I should this combo flour formula.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the deep colored crust too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I am loving this bread , it looks amazing. What is orange oil? I have never heard of it, you think it can be replaced with something else?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also do the same in grocery store... Very tempted with new ingredients...

    This rye bread looks awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are not alone, it always happen to me too.. btw the limpa looks prefect with beautiful deep crust.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my bookmarks are getting increased day by day. lovely bread

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks amazing,bookmarked it..love the texture of the bread..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Foodies in the grocery store = kids in toysrus.

    The bread looks amazing and its very well captured. Its not easy to present a brown round mass in such a beautiful manner :-). Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guess we can never get out of that habit..so best to come up with recipes that suit what we got..very lovely bread..

    ReplyDelete
  13. rye bread, cream cheese and fruit preserve is a combo to die for,,your bread is unbelievably beautiful in texture

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whole foods is a place I love to go. So much of variety and so much to learn as well!! This bread sounds so authentic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband has been pestering me to make rye bread for a long time and I never got around to it. This looks super tempting! Love the crumbs...

    ReplyDelete
  16. The bread looks fantastic rey we don't get in India but I like to use whole grains what we get in here...

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so delicious- can’t wait to try this recipe! and beautiful clicks as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have tried rye bread for the last September marathon. Bread has come out very beautiful!! Love that spread on top, makes it more attractive!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing bread and what a lovely colour!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This loaf looks amazing Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Pavani what an amazing bread. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips