Cook's Hideout: Sindhi Whole Green Gram dal & Aloo Took

May 18, 2013

Sindhi Whole Green Gram dal & Aloo Took

Blogging Marathon# 28: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: Sindhi Dishes
Dish: Sindhi Mung-a & Aloo Took
For day 2 of BM under 'Sindhi dishes' theme, I made 2 very delicious and simple dishes. Dal with moong beans and a dry curry with potato. I had a lot of Sindhi dishes bookmarked to try like this amazing Sindhi Saibhaji, Kokis and other veggies dishes. But my husband's been travelling and I didn't want to make these just for myself because even if I make just a little bit, there will be a lot leftover for me to eat for a whole week. So after browsing through Vaishali's & Alka's blogs, I ended up with 2 dishes that can be made with minimum ingredients and in small quantity, so I won't have too much leftover.
Aloo Took
First up is this simple dal made with whole moong beans. I love all beans, both for their health benefits and texture. When I saw the recipe on Vaishali's blog, I thought how different can it be from the dishes I'm used to. But I was pleasantly surprised on how much flavor just finely chopped ginger and garlic imparts to a dish.
Aloo Took
Sindhi Mung-a
Ingredients:
Whole Green gram (Moong beans) - 1cup
Green Chilies - 2, finely chopped
Ginger - 1" piece, finely grated
Garlic - 1-2 cloves, grated
Tomato puree - 3tbsp (or add 1 ripe tomato)
Red chili powder - ¼tsp 
Turmeric powder - ¼tsp
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Soak the beans for 2-4 hours. Then pressure cook them with some salt until tender.
  • Heat 2tsp ghee in a small sauce pan, add finely chopped/ grated green chilies, ginger and garlic. Cook on low flame until they start smelling fragrant, about 1 minute.
  • Next add the tomato puree and cook for 1-2 minutes.
  • Add turmeric and red chili powder.
  • Finally add the cooked mung beans and salt. Add water to get the desired consistency and cook for 3-4 minutes. Serve hot with a Sindhi curry and roti for a complete meal. 
I had this spicy and tasty dal with some deep fried potato goodness, aloo took. I had the oil that I used to fry the pakwan and so decided to go ahead and indulge myself in this high calorie yumminess. Potatoes are double fried to golden, so they are crispy on the outside and creamy & airy on the inside. Recipe adapted from Alka's recipe and Vaishali's recipe.
Sindhi Mung-a
Aloo Took
Ingredients:
Potatoes - 3 medium
Ground Coriander - ¼tsp
Ground Cumin - ¼tsp
Red Chili Powder - ¼tsp
Black Pepper - ¼tsp
Garam Masala - ¼tsp
Aamchoor powder (dry mango powder) - ¼tsp
Salt - to taste

Method:

  • Cut the potatoes into thick slices, about 2-3 slices from 1 medium potato. With a sharp knife,  score the flat sides of the slices. Sprinkle some salt and set them aside for 5 minutes. I pat dried them with a paper towel before drying just so that the moisture doesn't cause oil to splutter. Then deep fry these potato slices on low flame until they look cooked through. Remove onto a paper lined plate and let cool.
  • Once the potatoes are cool enough to touch, flatten them between your palms. Deep fry these again until golden on both sides.
  • In the meantime, mix all the dry spices along with salt. Once the potatoes are ready, sprinkle the masala mix on top and enjoy them hot with a gravy dish of choice and rice or roti.
Sindhi Mung-a
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 28.
Signature

11 comments:

  1. Wow Pavani, awesome job with those moongs.they look very well made and so glad you liked them.ok the aaloo took need not be scored, infact the scored aaloos that we make are called cheera wara aaloo..will write to you in detail on that...but totally delicious meal..loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both dal and aloo took looks simply comforting, who can resist to this both inviting dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ur pics are very good & I love the way the aloo looks. I am now inspired to make this tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful combo,looks super tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some dishes are so generic that you can't categorize them into particular cuisine I guess. Like the vermicelli kheer or this moong dish.
    Aloo dish caught my attention. Have to try it later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super combo!! Excellent pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow the entire platter looks so inviting...needless to say the aloo took looks so sinful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aloo dish is so picture perfect... looks so tempting.. could not take my eyes off them!!!
    Sowmya
    Event - Authentic Indian Sweets w giveaway
    Event - Kid's delight - Sweet Treats
    Event - WTML w giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pictures look so inviting Pavani and loved the mat that you have used.Great combo of dishes :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips