Cook's Hideout: Chuduwa (Poha Mixture)

May 14, 2013

Chuduwa (Poha Mixture)

Post & Recipe Courtesy: My dearest Cousin Pallavi

One more entry from my cousin Pallavi for Valli's Kid's Delight: 5 Ingredient fix event being held right here on my blog. I'm going to let Pallavi do the taling today :-)
The recipe that I am going to share here is extremely easy to make. This is yet another recipe I learnt from My Mother-in-law. ‘Chuduwa’ is very famous in Telangana. My kid loves to have it all the time. It serves as a snack. Equally liked by adults too (spice level varies). 
Chudwa (Poha Mixture)
If you know how to handle ‘Rice flakes (poha/Atukulu) then you are almost done with the recipe. To make this recipe I prefer Thin Poha over thick. My mother-in-law uses half & half of Thin & Thick. Thicker ones are hard enough to chew. Thinner ones are easy to deal with in many ways.
To make this recipe I used following 4 Ingredients:
Thin Poha (that I got from Indian store) - ½ pack
Unpeeled Peanuts - 2 cups
Roasted Chana Dal (Putnala Pappu) - 2cups
Whole dried Red Chili - 4-5, do not break them, let them be whole until the end
Cooking Oil - 1tbsp
Ghee - 1tbsp
Turmeric Hing - ½tsp
Dhaniya powder (Ground Coriander) - ½tsp
Salt - to taste
Chili powder - optional if your kid can’t take it at all
Chudwa (Poha Mixture)
Method:

  • Take a thick pan; use little Ghee to fry Peanuts and Red Chilies. Do not break Red Chilies and let them be whole so the spice doesn't mix up in the final ingredient (to keep it kid friendly). Fry these ingredients until peanuts start turning slight brown and red chilies become crisp. Take them out of the pan and let them cool on a plate. 
  • In the same pan, add rest of the oil, turmeric and hing. When turmeric’s raw flavor is gone then add poha. Keep the flame between low and average. Keep mixing poha gently upside down until poha is crisp / airy in texture. It needs little patience in frying poha. High flame can burn poha. If quickly turned off at lower flame then it could end up raw. So a flame between low-medium and regular mixing shall give it the desired texture. Keep doing this for 15 mins. 
  • Then add salt and red chili powder (if kids can’t take it then skip it). 
  • Add the roasted peanuts + whole roasted red chilies + roasted chana dal (putnala pappu). 
  • Add little dhaniya powder so it’s flavorful. Mix them gently and well. Turn off the stove.  
Chudwa (Poha Mixture)

Chudwa (Poha Mixture)
Do not stock this in a container until cools down completely. In case you skipped Red chili powder to keep it kids friendly, adults can still make use of Roasted dry Red chilies. Adults can crush the red chilies (Hot Red Pepper flakes) while eating. You do not really need to add Red chili powder unless you like it to be spicy altogether. I like to add Curry leaves as well and roast them with peanuts. But my kids are not yet used to eat green as a flavorful ingredient so I avoided them.
Signature

2 comments:

  1. Vadinalu.. meeru keka. I love to make this at home. Iam goibg to prepare this dish for my roommate too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this crunchy snach anytime. Todays post : http://nivedhanams.blogspot.in/2013/05/kids-delightsweet-treats.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips