Cook's Hideout: Custard Cookies (Eggless recipe)

January 04, 2014

Custard Cookies (Eggless recipe)

Blogging Marathon# 36: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Cookies
Dish: Custard Cookies
For Day 2 of marathon, I have these super simple to make Custard cookies. These are basically cookies flavored with custard powder and hence the name, custard cookies. Not sure what made me look for custard cookies, but I googled for them and found this recipe on BBC Good food site. I recently bought some caster sugar (super fine sugar) and used it in this recipe.
Custard Cookies (Eggless recipe)
These cookies are easy to make, no freezing or refrigeration of the dough required. Just mix all the ingredients and form into little cookies and bake. I added some mini chocolate chips to half of the dough, so that my choco-loving son will have a share too. With or without chocolate chips, these cookies are great -- they just melt in your mouth.

Original recipe used 1 egg which I replaced with egg replacer, but flax meal egg will also work here.
Custard Cookies (Eggless recipe)
Ingredients:
Unsalted Butter - ¾cup (12tbsp, 140gms) at room temperature
Caster Sugar - 1cup (175gms)
Vanilla extract - ½tsp
Egg - 1 large (or 1tbsp egg replacer mixed with 3tbsp water)
Self rising flour** - 2cups (225gms)
Custard Powder - 1cup (85 gms) I used Brown & Polson vanilla custard powder.
Chocolate Chips - 1cup (optional (White or dark chocolate chips can be used, I used semi sweet mini chocolate chips)

Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 2 baking pans or line them with parchment paper.
  • Beat sugar, butter in a stand mixer (using the paddle attachment) or using a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
  • Add vanilla and egg (or egg replacer mixture) and mix until incorporated.
  • Sift flour and custard powder into the butter mixture and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips (if using).
  • Roll the dough into small walnut size balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten the balls lightly with fingers.
  • Bake  12~15 minutes or until lightly golden.
  • Remove the cookies from the oven and place them a cooling rack to cool completely. Store them in an airtight container.
Custard Cookies (Eggless recipe)
** Note: If using all purpose flour, then make your own self rising flour at home. Here's how to make 1 cup of Self rising flour: Mix together 1 cup All purpose flour, 1½tsp Baking powder and ¼tsp Salt. To make 2 cups of Self rising flour - mix together 2 cups All purpose flour, 3tsp Baking powder and ½tsp Salt.
Custard Cookies (Eggless recipe)
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 36.
Signature

15 comments:

  1. I've never had custard cookies and I want to know why. These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that bright yellow the custard brings to the cookies!!! looks cute n i bet my kiddo too would love some choco's in it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love BBC Good Food site - I've tried several recipes from that site and they're always a winner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi 5 pavani i too made custard cookies for cookies theme but without egg :) your s look fantastic and awesome clicks !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I like both versions..with those chips the cookies look so cute..

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look tempting & cute...

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so perfect, I love the crackle on top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look so perfect, I love the crackle on top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pavani, I have never eaten a custard cookies, but these looks so tempting. I have a huge box of custard powder that I can put to use now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cookies looks beautiful ! Bookmarked...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome...love the cookies...bookmarked

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic cookies tempting a lot!! Superb click too..

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look melt in your mouth soft. I have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These custardy choco-chip cookies are very tempting in that festive background.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips