Cook's Hideout: Poblano & Corn Baked Mac & Cheese

February 24, 2014

Poblano & Corn Baked Mac & Cheese

Blogging Marathon# 37: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Member's Choice
Dish: Baked Mac & Cheese with Poblano & Corn
We are starting our last week of blogging marathon for this month and I chose 'Member's Choice' as my theme. Valli compiled a list of dishes that all the BM members suggested and we were asked to pick 3 dishes for this week.
When I saw 'Baked Mac & Cheese', I knew I will definitely be making it. I like mac & cheese, but rarely make it because my husband is not a big fan of it -- he thinks it is too milky and cheesy for his taste -- the two reasons I really like it. But now my sister is in town and she is a fan of it. Gives me a chance to try mac & cheese recipes that I have been bookmarking from a while now.
Poblano & Corn Baked Mac & Cheese
Today's mac & cheese has a Mexican twist with poblanos, corn and cilantro in it along with the regular ingredients of cheese and milk. I thought the addition of poblanos was going to make this dish spicy, but it was very mild with a slightly smokey taste in the background. Original recipe had mushrooms in it, but I skipped them and used some onions instead.

Poblano & Corn Baked Mac & Cheese
I made only 2 dishes that you see in the picture because I was making it for me and my sister. But once the kids tasted it, they loved it and everyone wanted a share from the 2 portions I made. I was happy that even my pasta-hating mom liked it and had 2 helpings of it.
Poblano & Corn Baked Mac & Cheese

Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray's recipe:
Ingredients: Serves 4
Any short cut pasta (like macaroni or penne) - 1lb. (I used penne rigate -- penne with lines)
Corn - 3cups (fresh or frozen)
Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Salt - to taste

For the Cream sauce:
Butter - 2tbsp
Olive Oil - 1tbsp
All purpose flour - 2tbsp
Milk - 1½cup (You can also use 1 cup milk and ½cup heavy cream)
Cheese - 2cups shredded (I used a combination of sharp cheddar and pecorino cheese--original recipe had manchego cheese)

For the Green Sauce:
Poblano - 2 medium, deseeded and chopped
Cilantro - ½cup
Garlic - 2cloves
Water or Vegetable Stock - 1cup
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Prepare the Veggies: Heat 1tbsp oil in a saute pan; add the onions and corn and cook on medium heat until the veggies are soft and lightly browned around the edges. Once down, set them to a side.
  • Prepare the Green Sauce: Grind the ingredients listed under Green sauce into a smooth paste.
  • Prepare the Cream sauce: In a medium saucepan; melt butter and oil. Add the flour and cook whisking constantly until flour doesn't smell raw anymore and turns golden. Add milk, whisking constantly, until a smooth homogenous mixture forms. Stir in 1cup of grated cheese.
  • Next add the poblano green sauce and cook until the mixture thickens, about 20~25 minutes.
  • In the meantime, cook pasta according to package instructions. Before draining reserve 1cup of pasta cooking water, then drain and return to the same pot.
  • Preheat oven to 400°F.
  • Add cream sauce and the sauteed veggies to the cooked pasta, stir in a little bit of pasta cooking water, if the mixture looks too dry.
  • Pour into a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 15~20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and pasta is bubbly.
Poblano & Corn Baked Mac & Cheese
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 38.
Signature

11 comments:

  1. Very flavorful mac and cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow pavani this looks very delicious and one kid friendly pasta :) looks very very yummy and cheesy :) Love the green sauce !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The spicy additions sure are interesting! I chose to bake this as well..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this version better than regular one. Try it to top it up with salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mac and cheese has always been my daughter's favorite. Never tried mac and cheese with anything spicy. These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Mac and cheese as well Pavani, your bowl is so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Mac and cheese as well Pavani, your bowl is so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the twist with the green sauce

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful treat, loved the use of ramekins to bake individual bowls, this is my dinner...will be using regular chillies, think that works?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pradnya, You can use capsicum or other mild chilies instead, regular chilies might be too hot.

      Delete
  10. Pavani I brought a pan to make mac and cheese atleast that was my excuse. Now that i have a recipe I better get cracking at it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips