Cook's Hideout: Bread Sticks

February 10, 2014

Bread Sticks

Blogging Marathon# 37: Week 2/ Day 1
Theme: Kid's Delight -- Oven Baked Snacks
Dish: Bread Sticks
We begin our 2nd week of Blogging Marathon today and my theme for this week is 'Kid's Delight -- Baked Treats'. This month's Kid's delight host PJ @ Seduce your tastebuds wants us to send in kid approved baked dishes. So I have 3 recipes for this week that are approved by my little ones.
First up are Oven baked Bread Sticks. We love the soft bread sticks served at Olive Garden and I was looking for a recipe to make them for a while. When I saw this recipe in King Arthur's catalog, I baked them right away. Even though they are not as soft as the Olive Garden version, they taste great when served warm with some marinara sauce.
Bread Sticks
The original recipe makes 3 dozen bread sticks but I halved the recipe. I also added some wholewheat flour (atta) to make them a little healthy. Recipe is super simple to make and I'm sure they will be devoured by both by kids and adults alike.


I'm giving the full recipe as written in the catalog.
Ingredients: Makes 3 dozen bread sticks
All purpose flour - 3½cups (substitute 1~1½cups of AP flour with whole wheat flour)
Instant Yeast - 1tbsp
Lukewarm water - 1½cups
Olive Oil - 3tbsp, plus more for drizzling
Salt - 1¼tsp
Pizza dough flavor - 4tsp (optional)
Pizza Seasoning - for sprinkling (can be substituted with any combination of Italian herbs like dried basil, oregano etc.,)

Method:
  • Lightly grease a baking sheet and drizzle 1~2tbsp olive oil on it.
  • Combine all the ingredients except the pizza seasoning in the bowl of a stand mixer or a mixing bowl; beat at high speed for 60 seconds.
  • Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it nearly to the edges.
  • Use a pizza wheel or a sharp knife to score the dough in ¾"~1" wide crosswise strips, to make 13" long strips. Score the dough once lengthwise, so that you have 6½" long strips.
  • Cover the pan and set aside at room temperature to rise for 60 minutes or until puffy.
  • Preheat the oven to 375°F. Drizzle the dough with olive oil and sprinkle the pizza seasoning.
  • Bake the bread until it's very light golden brown, about 25 minutes.
  • Remove from the oven and place it on a rack. As soon as it is cool enough to handle, cut the dough   along the score lines.
  • Place the bread sticks back on the baking pan, on edge; you can put them close together. Return them to the oven, and bake for another 5~10 minutes, depending on how soft/ crisp you like your bread sticks.
  • Remove from the oven and serve warm or at room temperature.
Bread Sticks
Sending these bread sticks over to PJ for her Kid's Delight -- Baked Treats event.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 37.
Signature

11 comments:

  1. Loving big and beautiful pics here.....sticks look perfect....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually fill up my stomach with those bread sticks at Olive Garden, before my order arrives. Your bread sticks look soft and am sure your kids loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pavani, these look really soft and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So perfectly baked and tempting break stick :) This is one aromatic baked goodie which even i can't resist having them , Kids will sure love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really such a superb treat Pavani! Can't wait to make it..I know how much we enjoyed garlic bread sticks and this would be so much on the same lines..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfectly baked bread sticks,look so yummy and loved your clicks a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the King Arthur website too. The bread sticks look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bread sticks and yours looks so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bread sticks look so professional that my kids want to grab it off the screen !!
    Thanks Pavani for the little tidbit about pizza dough flavor and pizza seasoning..I just dispatched an order to my husband to lay his hands on those, as he is a pizza lover :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made this one Pavani! Mine does not look as good as yours but the taste was great. Have posted it for We knead to bake.Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pavani, I tried this and it was elicious. Check it out here http://www.veenasvegnation.com/2014/04/bread-sticks.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips