Cook's Hideout: Mixed Dal Rasam

February 02, 2014

Mixed Dal Rasam

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Our weekend has been fun so far -- Saturday we went to a Chinese New year party and learnt to make dumplings from a dear friend. Looking forward to Superbowl Sunday that is going to take place right here is New Jersey. Metlife stadium is about 3~4 miles from where we live, so I'm very excited that the action is taking place so close to us, even though we will be watching the real action on TV!! strange.. right??
Well today I don't have a recipe for superbowl sunday, I have a everyday dal rasam recipe that is tasty and healthy. Saw it on a cooking show and the recipe is a keeper.
Mixed Dal Rasam

Ingredients:
Tomatoes - 2 medium, chopped
Green chilies - 2, slit
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Curry leaves - 8~10
Turmeric - ¼tsp
Cilantro leaves - 2tbsp, finely chopped
Salt - to taste

For Rasam Powder:
Toor dal - 1tbsp
Chana dal - 1tbsp
Moong dal - 1tbsp
Coriander seeds - 1tbsp
Peppercorns - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Red chilies - 2

Method:

  • Make the Rasam powder: Dry roast all the ingredients under Rasam powder until golden and fragrant. Cool and grind to fine powder.
  • Make Rasam: Heat 2tsp oil, add cumin and mustard seeds; once the seeds start to splutter add green chilies, curry leaves and tomatoes. Cook covered until tomatoes turn mushy.
  • Next add 1~2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
  • Add turmeric, masala powder and salt, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Mixed Dal Rasam
Serve with steamed rice.


Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge': February - Week 1.











Signature

9 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmm! The pics have me drooling and as usual I am finding it to get off the pics and read the recipe. :D Will come back to when I am making it. Rt now looking at the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I m for rasam anyday, anytime. Love the lovely color it has got!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This rasam sounds so good with all those lentils mixed in...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rasam is a comfort food for me. Looks delish, Pavani!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice variation to a regular everyday dish. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually just use store bought rasam powder. I was so mad I missed Chinese New Year. I was planning on going to Chinatown but then I had an allergic reaction to something and the medicine made me sleep the whole day :( - glad you had a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So no tamarind in this rasam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for my late reply. Yes, there is no tamarind in this rasam. But you can add some for more tangy rasam.

      Delete
  8. So no tamarind in this rasam?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips