Cook's Hideout: Sourdough Pretzels

February 11, 2014

Sourdough Pretzels

Blogging Marathon# 37: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Kid's Delight -- Oven Baked Snacks
Dish: Sourdough Pretzels
For day 2 of BM# 37, I made Pretzels. Pretzels have been on my to-make list for a very long time. It all started when I saw them being made at a Pretzel bakery in the mall. I was really amazed how quickly & efficiently the guy twisted and shaped the pretzels. I wanted to try my hand at making then ever since.
I made these Viennese Vyborg Pretzels last year and were loved by all. But those were more sweeter than savory with a rich challah like texture. So I wanted to bake a more traditional pretzel this time.
Sourdough PretzelsI saw the recipe for Sourdough pretzel in the King Arthur catalog and I immediately wanted to try them because I'm also looking for recipes to use my sourdough starter. The pretzels turned out chewy, soft and just perfect. I sprinkled some with coarse salt and some with turbinado sugar.

Sourdough PretzelsNon-diastatic malt powder is added to the dough and then to the topping that is brushed on the pretzels. This gives the pretzels the distinctive shine crust. I didn't have that on hand, so I used barley malt syrup and thought that worked just fine.
Sourdough Pretzels

Sourdough Pretzels
Ingredients:
For the Pretzels:
Bread Flour - 2cups
Whole wheat flour - 1cup
Sourdough Starter - 1cup
Lukewarm Water - ¾cup+2tbsp
Instant Yeast - 2tsp
Non-fat Dry milk - ¼cup
Barley Malt Syrup - 2tbsp (or use 2tbsp non-diastatic malt powder)
Butter or Vegetable Oil - 1tbsp
Salt - 1½tsp

For the Topping:
Barley Malt Syrup - 1tbsp (or use 1tbsp non-diastatic malt powder)
Water - 2tbsp
Sea Salt or turbinado - for sprinkling
Melted Butter - 2tbsp (optional)
Sourdough Pretzels
Method:
  • Combine all the ingredients for pretzels and knead -- by hand or mixer -- to make a cohesive, fairly smooth dough. It should be slightly sticky; if the dough seems to be too dry, then knead in an additional 1~2tbsp of water.
  • Cover the dough and let it rest for 45 minutes. It will only rise minimally.
  • Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
  • Turn the dough out onto a slightly greased work surface, fold it over a few times to gently deflate it, then divide the dough into equal 12 pieces.
  • Roll each piece into 18" rope and shape each rope into a pretzel.
  • Dissolve the Malt Syrup into the water. Brush the pretzels with the solution and sprinkle lightly with either coarse salt or turbinado sugar. Place them on parchment lined baking sheet.
  • Bake the pretzels for 25~30 minutes or until they are light golden brown.
  • Remove the pretzels from the oven and brush with melted butter, if desired.
Sourdough Pretzels
I served the pretzels with some Nutella and peanut butter for dipping. See my son dipping his in Nutella in the background.
Sending these pretzels over to PJ for her Kid's Delight -- Baked Treats event.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 37.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. Pretzels are looking so spongy and perfectly baked

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats an very delicious oven baked snack and pretzels look fantastic dear :) excellent recipe !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious pretzels.. Pic's look amazing & make them tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly made pretzels,its in my to do list..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I love pretzels Pavani, it's still on my to do list..:)..your version looks yum, esp love that pic with chocolate..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are perfectly baked sourdough pretzels. Nutella sounds like a perfect dipping for the these pretzels

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pretzels have come out really well, Pavani. I like the click showing your son dipping a pretzel in nutella.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great! I always wanted to try baking with sourdough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. look so delicious and the perfect texture

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cute pretzels. I should try my hand with sourdough..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips