Cook's Hideout: Poblano, Corn & Veggie Tostadas (Vegetarian Recipe)

February 18, 2014

Poblano, Corn & Veggie Tostadas (Vegetarian Recipe)

Blogging Marathon# 37: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: Street Food from Around the World 
Dish: Poblano, Corn & Veggie Tostadas from Mexico
After exploring Korea, we are going to Mexico for today's Street Food from around the World. Mexican food was probably the first international cuisine that I really liked when I came to US. In those days, there were not too many International restaurants in India and the only international dish I ate back then was Domino's pizza, which if I remember correctly didn't really like.
But after coming to the US, I became more open minded about trying new dishes and Taco Bell soon became my favorite fast food place, both because of the vegetarian options available and it was affordable for a graduate student. One dish that I still order, at least one, is Nacho cheese chalupa. I make Mexican food atleast once a week and I have quite a few recipes posted here already.
Poblano, Corn & Veggie Tostadas (Vegetarian Recipe)
Most of the dishes we get here in the US are the American version of Mexican food. So I wanted to see what is traditionally served as street food in Mexico. Street food in Mexico is called Antojitos, or small cravings. Most of them include corn as an ingredient. These dishes include tacos, chalupas, tamales, gorditas, tostadas etc.,

I decided to make tostadas today. My version is not authentic in any way, but I made sure to infuse it with Mexican flavors. I used pan roasted poblanos, zucchini, eggplant and corn spiced with chili powder and ground cumin along with black beans for the tostadas. Condiments are the highlight for Mexican food, so I topped my tostadas with simple tomato salsa, guacamole and of course lot of sour cream.
Poblano, Corn & Veggie Tostadas (Vegetarian Recipe)
Tostadas are Mexican version of open faced sandwiches. These are served on crispy corn tostada shells. Shells are available in store, but I made mine in the oven. Toppings are completely customizable, use your choice of veggies (peppers, onions, zucchini, mushrooms etc) and beans (pinto, kidney or black).
Poblano, Corn & Veggie Tostadas (Vegetarian Recipe)
Ingredients: Serves 3~4 
Corn Tortillas - 6
Black beans - 1 16oz. can
Poblanos - 2 medium, thinly chopped
Zucchini - 1 medium, sliced
Eggplant - 1 medium, sliced
Red Onion - 1 medium, sliced
Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
Ground Cumin - 1tsp
Chili Powder - 1tsp (or adjust as per taste)
Salt & Pepper - to taste

For Topping:
Lettuce - finely shredded
Tomato Salsa - recipe follows
Guacamole - recipe follows
Cilantro -
Sour cream-
Shredded Cheddar/ Monterey jack/ Pepper Jack - optional

Method:
  • To make Tostada Shells: Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Brush oil on both sides of the corn tortillas, place them on the baking sheet. Bake for 12~15 minutes, flipping half way through, until golden and crispy. Remove from the oven and keep ready. These can be stored in a airtight container for up to a week.
  • Prep the veggies: Heat 1tbsp oil in a saute pan, add garlic and saute until golden, next add the veggies and cook on medium-high heat until browned around the edges.
  • Add chili powder, ground cumin, salt & pepper. Mix well and cook for another 1 minute.
  • Prepare the Beans: Heat 1tsp oil in a saucepan. Add the black beans and season with salt and pepper. Cook until heated through.
  • To Assemble the tostadas: Place generous heaping of black beans, followed by veggie mixture on the tostada shell and top it with your favorite toppings and enjoy immediately.
Poblano, Corn & Veggie Tostadas (Vegetarian Recipe)
Tomato Salsa:
Ingredients:
Tomatoes - 2 medium, deseeded and chopped
Red Onion - 1 small, finely chopped
Jalapeno - 1 small, finely choped
Lime juice - 1~2tsp
Cilantro - 1tbsp, finely chopped
Salt & Pepper - to taste

Method:
  • Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Set aside until ready to use.
Guacamole:
Ingredients:
Avocado - 1, deseeded and chopped
Red Onion - 1 small, finely chopped
Jalapeno - 1 small, finely choped
Lime juice - 1~2tsp
Cilantro - 1tbsp, finely chopped
Salt & Pepper - to taste

Method:
  • Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Set aside until ready to use.
Poblano, Corn & Veggie Tostadas (Vegetarian Recipe)
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 37.

Signature

11 comments:

  1. very delicious and colorful combo of veggies :) Tostadas looks very tempting !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes taco bell is a wonderful option for veggie dishes..i loved your presentation and the choice of dish for the theme

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds new to me,looks so tempting and your pictures make me drool....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prepared this for dinner and me and the kids really enjoyed it. I am not sure about Subbarao though!!. Thanks, Pavani!!. Raji

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tempting & delicious tostadas..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tostadas are a favorite in our house. Yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i want I want I want. Deliicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful tostadas! Lovely pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so good Pavani. Tostadas have been on my list for a long time.Wonder when I will be able to make these...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tostadas are so pretty to look at and I am sure it tasted great!..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips