Cook's Hideout: Gujarati Lauki Muthiya (Doodhi Muthia)

February 25, 2014

Gujarati Lauki Muthiya (Doodhi Muthia)

Blogging Marathon# 37: Week 4/ Day2
Theme: Member's Choice
Dish: Gujarati Muthiya with Lauki (Bottle gourd)
For the second day of BM# 37 under member's choice theme I picked Gujarati Muthiya. This healthy & filling snack from Gujarat has been on my to-make list for quite some time. So when I saw it on the members choice list, I knew I had to try it for this week.
I wanted to make Palak (spinach) muthiya and mentioned it to my blogging friends. Vaishali came back saying that the traditional muthiyas are made with methi leaves (fenugreek) or lauki (bottle gourd) and all the other versions are not very authentic. So I changed my mind and made the lauki muthiyas.
Gujarati Lauki Muthiya (Doodhi Muthia)
'Muthi' means fist in Gujarati and the dish is named 'muthiya' because they are made into a cylindrical shape using the fist. They are first steamed and then pan fried until crisp. They are great when served hot as tea time snack.

Gujarati Lauki Muthiya (Doodhi Muthia)
Bottle gourd has a ton of water in it, so it is not necessary to add any more water when making the dough. As I mentioned above, methi can also be used to flavor muthiyas.
Gujarati Lauki Muthiya (Doodhi Muthia)
Recipe from Tarla Dalal's site:
Ingredients:
Lauki/ Doodhi/ Bottle gourd - 2 cups, grated
Onion - 1 small, grated
Besan/ Chickpea flour - ½cup
Atta (whole wheat flour) - ½cup
Sooji (semolina) - 1cup
Ginger -2tsp, grated
Green chilies - 2, very finely chopped
Turmeric - ½tsp
Cumin seeds - ½tsp
Fennel seeds - ½tsp
Lemon Juice - 2tsp
Sugar - 1tsp
Baking Soda - ½tsp
Hing (asafoetida) - ½tsp
Salt - to taste

For Tempering:
Mustard seeds - ½tsp
Hing (asafoetida) - ½tsp
Sesame seeds - 1tsp
Cilantro - 2tbsp, finely chopped

Method:
  • Add a pinch of salt to grated lauki and set it aside in a colander placed in a bowl. After 10~15 minutes, squeeze out all the water from the lauki and take it in a mixing bowl. Reserve the drained water.
  • To the drained lauki and all the ingredients for the muthiyas and knead into a smooth dough. Add the reserved lauki water, only if needed.
  • Lightly grease hands and divide the dough into equal portions -- roll each portion into a cylinder that is 6" long and 1" thick.
  • Place them in a lightly greased container and steam for 20~25 minutes. 
  • Let them cool slightly and cut the muthiyas into ½" pieces.
  • Heat 2~3tbsp oil for tempering, add mustard seeds, asafoetida and sesame seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the muthiyas and saute on medium flame until golden brown and crisp on all sides. Don't overcrowd the pan, cook in batches to evenly cook the muthiyas.
  • Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
Gujarati Lauki Muthiya (Doodhi Muthia)
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 38.
Signature

8 comments:

  1. This recipe is so close to cabbage cutlets that we make in Maharashtra. The muthiya look good, healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow such an tempting and yummy muthia :) looks super delicious snack.. I wud love to finish the bowl !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muthiya looks so mouth watering........ Perfect for tea or coffee!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I reached your place on a right time. My colleague got this Muthiya yesterday. She is a Gujarati girl. Loved the taste of it. I am bookmarking this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this so much. Glad you made the traditional version also

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too good Pavani. I should make this at my end too..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yum. I love it. In fact my daughter loves them. So its a great way to get lauki in her and I will indulge. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pavani, those snacks are looking so yummy!..feel like grabbing off the screen..very nicely done..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips