Cook's Hideout: Apple Galette

February 12, 2014

Apple Galette

Blogging Marathon# 37: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Kid's Delight -- Oven Baked Snacks
Dish: Apple Galette 
For the 3rd day of blogging marathon# 37, I have this simple and easy to make apple galette that I actually made couple of months ago. My son has been asking me to make apple pie for quite some time now. I didn't want to bake a full fledged apple pie as I wasn't totally convinced if he'd really like it or not. So I took the easy route and made this galette with the spelt crust scraps leftover after making this quiche recipe.
Apple Galette
Galette is a free form pie and can be made with pie crust or even puff pastry. The crust I used for the quiche had some dried herbs in it. If I had thought of making this apple galette earlier, I probably would have skipped the herbs to make this dessert. But the herbs in the crust didn't really bother us. Galette tasted great with some vanilla ice cream.

Apple GaletteWith the scraps I had, I was able to make a 9"~10" galette. Use as many apples as needed to fill your galette. I sprinkled some toffee bits that I had on hand, just to make it a little more attractive to my son.
Apple Galette
Ingredients:
Pie crust - store bought or homemade
Apples - 2~3 medium, peeled and thinly sliced
Brown Sugar - 1~2tbsp
Ground Cinnamon - ½tsp
Toffee bits - 2~3tbsp (optional)
Turbinado Sugar - 1~2tbsp
Melted butter - 1tbsp

Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a parchment.
  • Roll out the pie crust into a circle, about ¼" thick and as big as you can with the crust you have.
  • Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
  • Layer the apple slices slightly overlapping each other starting from the outside leaving 1" border to the center of the galette.
  • Sprinkle the brown sugar-cinnamon and the toffee bits (if using) evenly over the apples. 
  • Fold the crust over the apples, press gently to adhere the folds.
  • Brush the crust with melted butter and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
  • Bake for 30~35 minute or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. Remove from the oven and place it on a wire rack for 5 minutes before slicing.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream .Enjoy!!
Apple Galette
Sending these bread sticks over to PJ for her Kid's Delight -- Baked Treats event.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 37.
Signature

10 comments:

  1. I am yet to make a galette, looks so good Pavani..I love apple and cinnamon combination..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy and this is in my to do list

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will not mind having this now! Looks awesome Pavani!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple, cinnamon and brown sugar - such a killer combo, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apple and cinnamon - my favorites. The galette looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the ingredient you used, apple and cinnamon. Looks very good with a scoop of ice-cream on top of the galette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apple-cinnamon combo is one of the best in baked goodies..Love this galette!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks so good, especially with the ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks awesome. Can I have some please.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips