Cook's Hideout: Kesar Shrikhand

April 18, 2016

Kesar Shrikhand

I would never have imagined myself eating a savory dish with a sweet side. So when we were served Shrikhand with Pooris and Oondhiyu at our Gujarati friend's house, I was almost reluctant to take the plunge. But I took their word for it and tried it anyway. It was a really good combo, not at all like what I was imagining it to be.
Saffron flavored Sweetened Yogurt
So when I planned this Oondhiyu meal, I had to make the Shrikhand too to make it more like the traditional Gujarati way of serving the dish. Good thing is that it takes just a few minutes to make Shrikhand if you are using Greek yogurt, but if you are using regular yogurt, then make sure to place the yogurt in a cheese cloth for a few hours to remove as much excess liquid from it as possible.

So here's a simple, creamy and delicious Kesar Shrikhand to serve as a dessert or as a side dish to pooris.

Kesar Shrikhand
Ingredients:
  • 2cups Greek Yogurt
  • 2~3tbsp Sugar
  • 1tsp Ground Cardamom
  • 5~6 Saffron strands
  • 1tbsp Warm Milk
  • 2~3tbsp Pistachios & Almonds, chopped
Method:
  1. Soak saffron in warm milk for 5~10 minutes.
  2. Combine yogurt, sugar, cardamom and the saffron. Whisk well until well combined.
  3. Chill for 1~2 hours for the flavors to mingle.
  4. Serve garnished with pistachios and almonds. Enjoy!!
Saffron flavored Sweetened Yogurt


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63.
Signature

5 comments:

  1. i normally don't like sweet with savory dishes but some combos are so good. One of my favorite is makka garelu with pala padiyam (rice flour kheer). Shrikhand looks so delicious and with Greek yogurt, it is so easy to prepare. I though you would do this for S, when saw it in the main post.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kesar shrikhand looks so tempting and with Greek yogurt easy to make .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Pavani ! You really went all the way and made a perfect meal , the shrikhand looks amazing , though the original combo with undhiyu is jalebi . I love the idea of using greek yogurt .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess most of the south indians won't like this sweet and savory mix for the main meal...However I find that we are okay to tasting that combo when it comes to pairing the north indian meals..lovely pictures..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips