Cook's Hideout: Lehsun Chutney (Rajasthani Spicy Garlic Chutney)

April 14, 2016

Lehsun Chutney (Rajasthani Spicy Garlic Chutney)

BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines 
Week 2: Rajasthani Cuisine 
Day 12: L for Lehsun Chutney
We are already in the middle of the week with Rajasthani cuisine. Today's dish is a super spicy and delicious Garlic chutney made in the Rajasthani style. It is a great condiment to serve with rotis or to use as a spread for sandwiches.
Rajasthani Spicy Garlic Chutney
When I started researching for Journey through the Cuisines, the first step was to decide the 4 states I wanted to cook from. Then find the dishes in alphabetical order and the final step was to look for recipes from authentic sources. So I tried to cook from recipes that were posted by bloggers from respective states. Hence most of my Bengali dishes were from Bengali bloggers Sandeepa and Soma. I also tried to stick to the recipe as much as possible without many substitutions except for may be adjusting the ingredient quantities.

Rajasthani Spicy Garlic Chutney
Even though I found quite a few different recipes for garlic chutney, this recipe made from a Rajasthani blogger, Shwetha Agrawal, sounded more authentic and that's what I followed.
Rajasthani Spicy Garlic Chutney
This chutney was quite strong the first time I tried it. It almost cleared up my sinuses instantly and I almost didn't want to post it today. But after letting it sit in the fridge, it mellowed down and tasted spicy but not with a really strong garlic flavor. Apart from using as a spread, I also used it instead of ginger~garlic paste in some rice dishes and it tasted awesome.
Rajasthani Spicy Garlic Chutney

Recipe from Merry Tummy:

Rajasthani Garlic Chutney
Ingredients:
  • 6~8 Garlic cloves
  • 4~6 Dry Red Chilies
  • 2tsp Coriander seeds
  • 1/4cup Cilantro leaves, chopped
  • 1 Large Tomato, chopped
  • 1/4tsp Sugar
  • 1tbsp Lemon juice
  • To taste Salt
  • 2tbsp Mustard oil
Method:
  1. Soak red chilies and coriander seeds in warm water for at least 30 minutes. Drain and add to the blender along with garlic, lemon juice, salt, sugar, tomato and cilantro leaves.
  2. Grind to a smooth paste with little water. Do not add too much water, the water in tomato is usually enough to get a smooth paste.
  3. Heat the mustard oil in a small saucepan until hot. Turn off the heat and add the ground garlic mixture. Mix well and let cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Here I made some jowar (and atta) rotis and served the chutney with it.
Rajasthani Spicy Garlic Chutney


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


Signature

17 comments:

  1. Chutney looks so spicy and hot. Would happily relish it with idlis...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chutney looks delicious Pavani, and looking at the ingredients list, it's healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this chutney and have always enjoyed it whenever I made it..so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lehsun chtney really looks so flavorful and spicy.Would have tasted yummy with the roti.Love the moody images and the lightening in the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet another one of your recipes, I am bookmarking to make for sure. The jowar roti combo was an excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so this is the recipe you mentioned in your comment on my ellipaya karam post. Even I felt the same way and did not want to post my garlic recipe. Lehsun chutney is mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My god, this chutney looks prefect to tickle my tastebuds.. Fantastic chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess every region in India has a version of garlic based condiment and this chutney must be a flavor addition to the table, especially for garlic lovers.
    I remember Usha also mentioning the flavor of the garlic chutney being stronger on the day it is made. Need to remember it.☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lehsun Chutney looks spicy and flavorful. Lovely clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks spicy and perfect for any dish.. be it roti or idly or dosa.. great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made the same but the Maharashtrian equivalent. This is just as fiery and definitely not for my taste buds. But my husband will be happy to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love garlic in most of its forms and this chutney looks so good. I would love it with the Jowar Roti as you have shown. I am a big fan of Rajasthani food, and now I am drooling over this spicy chutney. Well made!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Garlic lovers would love this chutney and will not mind the strong flavor at all. I will be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lipsmacking condiment ! we love with jowari rotis.. and this is so well captured.. I make a drier version of this with pretty much similar ingredients.. must post soon...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how I love this condiment, bread, roti , rice anything and everything tastes delicious with this chutney. And what beautiful clicks Pavani..I am just scrolling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the creamy consistency and these photos are just too awesome

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lehsun chutney sounds super spicy and the clicks are awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips