Cook's Hideout: Piyush (Gujarati Yogurt Drink)

April 19, 2016

Piyush (Gujarati Yogurt Drink)

BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines 
Week 3: Gujarati Cuisine 
Day 16: P for Piyush
Today I have a creamy and delicious dessert perfect for the summer. It is Gujarati version of lassi and is made with Shrikhand. Initially I had a savory dish planned for P, but then I saw this Piyush recipe on Tarla Dalal.com and since I already had Kesar Shrikhand in the fridge, I made it right away. Also with the sweltering summer heat in India, this is a perfect cooling drink.
Gujarati Yogurt Drink
Piyush is nothing but jazzed up version of shrikhand. It is mixed with more yogurt (or buttermilk) and thinned out with milk, then flavored with spices. This was one of the easiest and one of the yummiest yogurt based desserts I've ever made. Since I was the only having this at home, I thoroughly enjoyed making and drinking this creamy and rich Piyush.
Gujarati Yogurt Drink

Gujarati Yogurt Drink

Recipe from Tarla Dalal.com:

Piyush (Serves 2~3)
Ingredients:
  • 1cup Kesar Shrikhand (homemade or Store bought)
  • ½cup Yogurt
  • ½cup Milk
  • ½tsp Ground Cardamom
  • ¼tsp Ground nutmeg
  • As needed Pistachios, chopped
  • 4~5 Saffron strands
Method:
  1. In a mixing bowl combine shrikand, yogurt, milk, cardamom and nutmeg. Whisk well to combine all the ingredients.
  2. Chill for 1~2 hours for the flavors to mingle.
  3. Pour into glasses, garnish with pistachios and saffron strands. Enjoy!!

Gujarati Yogurt Drink
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


Signature

17 comments:

  1. Oh wow that's stunning pictures and what a delicious dessert pavani...I love Shrikhand and make it quite often...never went further to make this dish...For a moment I read it as payesh and wondered about it..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading the title, I confused piyush with Bengali dessert and wondered why you are posting a Bengali dish this week. Beautiful pictures, specially the action shot. Drink looks very flavorful and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pavani, you are tempting me with your awesome pictures. Love it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. shrikand and yogurt slurp slurp slurp

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need to remember this when I make shrinkhand next time. Gorgeous clicks and yummy piyush.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a rich creamy drink , i am not a shrikhand person , perhaps for that reason i have never explored this drink. Lovely capturing clicks .

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a rich creamy drink , i am not a shrikhand person , perhaps for that reason i have never explored this drink. Lovely capturing clicks .

    ReplyDelete
  8. no takers for shrikhand at home, but this drink definitely is a crowd pleaser....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg!! That's one creamy and delicious drink. Lovely clicks very tempting:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very rich looking piyush, sounds like a prefect drink for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely coolant, Pavani. Your clicks make me want to make it right away :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your choice for P. Took me back to my mom and the sweet and cooling drink on hot summer afternoons. Amazing pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a refreshing and hearty drink this is! Love your clicks....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Piyush drink sounds too good.I am so going to try it next time when I will make Shrikhand.Lovely clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that pouring pic is just awesome and makes me want to run out and try this recipe straight away!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips