BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines
Week 3: Gujarati Cuisine
Day 19: S for Sambhariya Shaak
Today's Gujarati dish is yet another traditional vegetable dish. Here the veggies are stuffed with a spicy coconut filling and then pressure cooked until cooked to perfection. Another amazing recipe from Tarla Dalal.com.
Recipe from Tarla Dalal.com:
- 10 Small or medium sized Tendli (Ivy gourd or Dondakaya or Tindora)
- 6 Baby Potatoes, peeled
- 1 Small Sweet potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 4 Baby Eggplants
- 2tbsp Oil
- ¼tsp Asafoetida/ Hing For the Stuffing:
- ¼cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- ½cup Cilantro, finely chopped
- 2tsp Ground Coriander
- 1tsp Ground Cumin
- 1tsp Red Chili powder
- 2 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- 1" Ginger piece, finely grated
- 1~2tsp Sugar
- ½tsp Turmeric
- 2tsp Besan (Chickpea flour)
- To taste Salt
- Prep the Veggies: Remove the ends of the tendli and make a vertical slit in the middle.
- Remove the stalks of the eggplant and make a criss-cross slits in the bottom.
- Prepare the Stuffing: In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients listed under stuffing. Mix well, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Stuff the tindora and eggplant with the stuffing. Place the stuffed veggies along with baby potatoes, sweet potatoes and the remaining stuffing in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the asafoetida and cook for a few seconds.
- Add all the vegetables and the stuffing along with ¼cup water. Mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Serve hot with rotils or even rice.