Cook's Hideout: Waffles with Chocolate Malted Syrup

May 28, 2012

Waffles with Chocolate Malted Syrup

Going back to work after a long weekend is quite an effort. Weekends always seem to be so short, but I'm happy that I got to do some cleaning and arranging things around the house and make some dishes for the blog. We also watched "Men In Black 3" in the theater, an evening show with our son for the first time. We took him to the afternoon shows since they are less crowded, but this time we took a chance. He slept after watching the previews and may be about 15minutes of the movie (oh. well......)

I was raking my mind on what breakfast to make for blogging marathon this morning and I asked my son if he wanted pancakes or waffles. He said he wanted chocolate waffles and added that he would help me make them too. 

A quick google search landed me on this recipe from Williams Sonoma, I had all the ingredients on hand except for semi-sweet chocolate, so I used a combo of unsweetened and milk chocolate. Waffles came out perfect and the chocolate sauce is to die for. I'm looking forward to use the sauce on ice-creams, pancakes, bananas,.....
I added half a measure of whole-wheat pastry flour and used Vanilla soy milk instead of regular milk.

Recipe adapted from here.
Ingredients:
All-purpose flour - 1cup
Whole-wheat pastry flour - 1 cup
Baking powder - 2tsp
Salt - ¾tsp 
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Soy milk (or regular milk) - 1¾ cups
Eggs - 2, lightly beaten
Butter - 4tbsp (½ stick), melted
Vanilla extract - 2tsp
Semi-sweet chocolate - 2oz, grated (I used 1oz. each of unsweetened & milk chocolates)

For the Chocolate-Malt Syrup:
Heavy Cream - 1cup
Malted milk powder - ½ cup
Semi-sweet chocolate - 4oz., finely chopped (I used 2oz. each of unsweetened & milk chocolates)
 
Method:
  • In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients - flours, baking powder, salt and sugar. Set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk in milk, butter, eggs and vanilla extract.
  • Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. 
  • Stir in the grated chocolate.
  • Follow the instructions on the waffle maker and make waffles accordingly. In my waffle maker, I add 1 cup of batter and cook for about 4 minutes for perfect waffles.
  • Keep the waffles warm in a preheated 200°F oven.
  • For the Chocolate syrup: In a medium size sauce pan; warm the cream until small bubbles form on the edges of the pan. Remove from heat and whisk in the malted milk powder & chocolate; whisk until smooth. Keep warm.
  • To serve, drizzle the waffle generously with chocolate sauce and enjoy!! It's definitely a little messy to eat, but tastes absolutely delicious.
 
Let’s check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up for Day 6 of BM# 16.

Please rush in your entries for Dish It Out -- Eggplant & Tomatoes event. Last day to send in your entries is May 31st.
Signature

18 comments:

  1. Chocolate for breakfast- this is awesome! Your son looks all grown up- wow. Does he enjoy cooking with you?
    I still fall asleep at evening shows in the movie theatre ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...waffles with choco syrup sounds so delicious...wonderful pics too!!

    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waffles look inviting Pavani. Little helper in the kitchen :).

    Vardhini
    CooksJoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Pavani, thanks for sharing your son's picture..so good and love your kitchen!..not to mention the waffle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look perfect and kid friendly!....yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok...YUMM!! my mouth is watering! that looks so delicious! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great breakfast...
    And when someone so sweet is helping...it had to be awesome

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wat a super delicious and irresistible breakfast, yummy..Kudos to ur lil chef.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfectly made waffles,my kiddo's all time favorite breakfast....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Waffels look absloutley delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see the lil helping you out.....waffles look die for....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful shots, Pavani! And your son looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a nice thing to include your son to make them with u.. the waffles look great & with added chocolates, its become irresistible.. loved the clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. waffles look fab and love the photos too! great to see helper in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfectly made waffles. My daughter sometimes helps me in the kitchen too.

    Loved your pictures.

    Divya's Culinary Journey
    Showcase- Desserts

    ReplyDelete
  16. the chocolate loving kids are sure to love these waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks divine...love the pic with the kiddo!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks truly delicious, i love waffles

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips