Cook's Hideout: Mexican Chopped Salad with Jicama

February 18, 2016

Mexican Chopped Salad with Jicama

Blogging Marathon# 61: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: Dishes using Root Vegetables
Dish: Mexican Chopped Salad with Jicama
Jicama has recently become one of my favorite vegetable. It is crispy, slightly sweet and very refreshing. It is a root vegetable and falls under the taproot category. Rutabaga, parsnip, daikon are few other veggies that fall under this category.
Mexican Chopped Salad
I wanted to take a picture of jicama and asked my son to pose. Then my daughter wanted to hold it too for the photos. But in the end I couldn't pick just one, so I'm posting both their pics.

Jicama

Jicama
I love jicama in salads and here's another salad that I already made with it along with avocado. Today's salad is from 'Vegan Eats World' cookbook by Terry Hope Romero. It has a very interesting dressing with toasted and ground pumpkin seeds along with agave, lime juice and spices. It is thick, gritty and very yummy.
Pumpkin Seeds

Mexican Chopped Salad

Mexican Chopped Salad
If you can't find jicama, then I think apple or pear can be used instead, but the taste will be quite different.
Mexican Chopped Salad


Mexican Chopped Salad
Ingredients:
  • 1 Medium Jicama, peeled and diced
  • 2 Medium Tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
  • 1 Small Red Onion, diced
  • 2 Jalapeno or Serrano Chilies
  • 1cup Cilantro Leaves, chopped
  • 3tbsp Pumpkin seeds, roasted
  • ¼cup Lime juice
  • 1~2tsp Agave Nectar
  • 1tsp Dried Oregano
  • ½tsp Ground Cumin
  • To taste Salt
Method:
  1. On a dry skillet, roast jalapeno or serrano chili until the skin is blistered and is tender. Place them in a bowl and cover with a plate or plastic wrap. Remove the skin and seeds, chop and keep ready.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine jicama, tomatoes, onion, roasted chilies and cilantro.
  3. Pulse the roasted pumpkin seeds in a coffee grinder into a gritty powder. Then in a bowl whisk the pumpkin seed powder with lemon juice, agave, dried oregano, ground cumin and salt.
  4. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss well. Serve the salad immediately.
Mexican Chopped Salad

 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 61.
Signature

15 comments:

  1. I am scrolling up and down looking at the pictures. My favorite is the third picture, jicama in hands where the focus is both on the vegetable and the fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely salad. I've never tasted jicama. I like the idea of grinding pumpkin seeds to add to the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The salad looks very refreshing , love those bowls and amazing clicks .

    ReplyDelete
  4. yet to try jicama.. great idea to use them in salads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very colourful salad. We don't get jicama here, so no idea about it taste but awesome snaps..

    ReplyDelete
  6. That salad looks so refreshing and love the bowl as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i remember this veggie from ur earlier post.. pics with the kids' hands look cool and clear ...salad is refreshing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an interesting salad...as always your pictures floor me...delicious! Jayanthi(www.sizzlingveggies.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this vege is new to me and love those cute hands holding the vegetables. I can enjoy this bowl of salad for me lunch so refreshing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never tried Jicama. Looking forward to try it soon! Awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jicama is salad is so interesting! How colorful it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful salad .Looks totally delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely salad and I loved all the pictures..:)..nice reading about this root..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thats an excellent salad, jicama salad looks crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely salad and the bowl too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips