Cook's Hideout: Carrot Raita (Carrot Yogurt Dip)

February 17, 2016

Carrot Raita (Carrot Yogurt Dip)

Blogging Marathon# 61: Week 3/ Day 1
Theme: Dishes using Root Vegetables
Dish: Carrot Raita
We are starting a new week of Blogging marathon and my theme for this week is 'Dishes made with Root Vegetables'. Valli wanted us to pick 3 root vegetables from this list and cook 3 dishes for the week.
Carrot Yogurt Dip
My first dish is with the most popular root vegetable, Carrot. It is widely used in many cuisines, especially in the preparation of salads. I always have carrots in my fridge and I add them to rice dishes, curries and even make chutney with it. The sweetness in carrots makes them perfect to use in sweet dishes as well, like carrot halwa or burfi or ice cream.

Carrot Yogurt Dip
But today I have a yogurt dip with carrots. This recipe is from Bon Appetit magazine. I was intrigued by the use of carrot in a savory dip and so tried it to see for myself.
Original recipe used Vadouvan spice blend which gives this dip an amazing flavor and taste. Vadouvan spice is a French take on our very own curry powder. I made a batch of this spice blend using this recipe from Epicurious, but I think I might have burned it a little while baking, so it turned out not-so-good looking though it has great flavor. If you don't have access to vadouvan, then use Madras curry powder instead.
Carrot Yogurt Dip
After tasting this carrot-yogurt dip, it tasted a lot like the chutney I made with carrot. So it's not only good to dip chips, veggies or crackers but also great with idlis, dosas and even rice. Store it in the fridge for 2~3 days and enjoy this spicy and delicious carrot dip.
Carrot Yogurt Dip


Carrot Yogurt Dip
Ingredients:
  • 3 Medium Carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4" thick
  • 2 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 2tbsp Olive oil
  • 1tbsp Vadouvan spice blend or Madras curry powder
  • 1½cups Greek Yogurt (2% recommended)
  • 2tbsp Lime juice
  • To taste Salt & Pepper
Method:
  1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, add the chopped carrot, salt and pepper and cook for 12~15 minutes or until the carrots are tender and beginning to brown slightly.
  2. Stir in the garlic cloves and Vadouvan or Madras curry powder, cook till fragrant, about 2 minutes. Cool the mixture slightly and transfer it to a blender or food processor.
  3. Blend along with yogurt and lime juice until smooth. Serve with veggies, crackers as dip or with idli or dosa or rice.
Carrot Yogurt Dip

 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 61.
Signature

14 comments:

  1. OMG that is some finger licking dip Pavani..and the clicks are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing.. need to google the vadovan splice blend.. lovely clicks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dip and a great idea , i am sure it must have tasted super .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome dip and amazing clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrot dip looks absolutely delicious. The pictures are mouth watering and very tempting. Lovely!!! Jayanthi(www.sizzlingveggies.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always pictures are so so beautiful and finger licking dip recipe ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful and versatile dip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dip really sounds wonderful and love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very versatile ! I was looking for a perugu-pachadi kind of picture, but this is a dip... interesting use of carrots :) bookmarked to try

    now pass me the fries and dip, please :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dip looks great, I am surely trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I saw raita, I thought it is going to be our traditional one. This is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can smell the flavor of this dip from here. Prefect to enjoy with some fries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carrot dip looks very inviting.Love the clicks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips