Blogging Marathon# 61: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Meal Ideas
Dish: Brown Rice BowlMy second meal idea after yesterday's South Indian meal this brown rice bowl with crispy tofu and vegetables. As I said yesterday, all of my dishes this week are centered around rice. We have started eating more brown rice these days, so I'm always in the look out for more recipes using it. This rice bowl recipe is from America's Test Kitchen newsletter.
Recipe is from 'Americas's Test Kitchen':
Brown Rice Bowl with Tofu & VeggiesIngredients:
- 1cup Brown Rice
- 3tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 3tbsp Mirin
- ¼tsp Sugar
- 1tbsp Soy Sauce
- ½tsp Ginger, freshly grated
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lime
- 1 14oz. Extra firm Tofu, drained and pressed
- ¼cup Cornstarch
- 2tbsp Cornmeal
- 1tbsp Oil
- 3~4 Radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 Avocado, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 Medium Cucumber, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 Scallions
- As needed Toasted Nori sheets, crumbled (optional)
- Cook Rice: Bring brown rice and 2~2½cups of water to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer covered for 25~30 minutes or until rice is tender. Let rice stand for 5~10 minutes.
- Make the Dressing: In the meantime, bring rice vinegar, mirin and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat.
- Add 3tbsp of the vinegar mixture to the rice and mix well. Allow to cool, about 20 minutes.
- In the remaining vinegar mixture, add ¼tsp each of orange and lime zests, 2tsp each of orange and lime juices. Reserve this dressing for serving.
- Prepare Tofu: Cut the tofu into ¾" thick slabs, then slice each slab into fingers.
- Whisk cornstarch, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Working with a few pieces at a time, coat tofu thoroughly with cornstarch mixture, pressing to help it adhere.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the coated tofu and cook until crisp and lightly golden on all sides, about 10~12 minutes.
- Divide the rice evenly between 4 serving bowls and sprinkle with crumbled nori.
- Top with tofu, radishes, avocado and cucumber.
- Sprinkle with thinly sliced scallions and drizzle with reserved dressing.