Cook's Hideout: Cheese and Potato Gözleme for #BreadBakers

February 09, 2016

Cheese and Potato Gözleme for #BreadBakers

I almost forgot that today's the posting day for #BreadBakers. I'm glad that I checked Facebook to see our lovely Host, Anshie's post about the event, otherwise I would have totally forgotten about it. So thank you Anshie for reminding and also for being such a gracious host.
Stuffed Turkish Griddle bread
Our theme for this month is 'Griddle breads' and I almost wanted to make an Indian bread. But then as I was looking through my Pinterest boards, I found these Turkish Gözleme that I had pinned a while back.
Gözleme is a traditional Turkish savory flatbread that is filled with either meat or veggie stuffing and cooked over a griddle. They are popular street food in Turkey. The name of the dish comes from Turkish word göz which means 'compartment' in reference to the pocket of dough in which the various fillings are stuffed, sealed and cooked. Fillings vary by region and personal preference, and include a variety of meats (beef, lamb, seafood etc.), vegetables (spinach, zucchini, leek, chard, peppers, etc.), cheeses (feta, Turkish white cheese etc.) as well as eggs, herbs and spices.
Stuffed Turkish Griddle bread
There are quite a few different ways of making the dough or pastry for these gözleme. Some used yeast in the dough, some didn't, some even used sourdough to make the dough. But I found this recipe on Ozlem's Turkish Table and since it's coming from a Turkish blogger I knew it must be an authentic recipe.
I stuffed my gözleme with cheese, potato and spinach because my kids love this combination. I used Turkish red pepper paste to give some spiciness to the filling, but it can be easily substituted with some red pepper flakes. I loved how flaky and soft the final pastry ended up being. These are great to serve as snack with some tea or as a light meal with a salad.
Stuffed Turkish Griddle bread
Recipe adapted from here:

Cheese & Potato Gözleme
Ingredients:
  • 1½cups Wholewheat flour
  • 1½cups All purpose flour (if not using wholewheat flour, use 3 cups of all purpose flour)
  • 2¼tsp Instant Yeast
  • 1tsp Sugar
  • 1tsp Salt
  • 2tbsp Yogurt
  • 1~1½cups Water
  • 3 Medium Potatoes, boiled and mashed
  • 1cup Frozen chopped Spinach, thawed (or 3~4cups fresh chopped spinach, cooked)
  • 1~2tsp Turkish Red Pepper paste (or substitute with 1~2tsp red pepper flakes)
  • ½cup Feta cheese
  • ¼cup Parsley, finely chopped
  • 2tbsp Olive oil
  • To taste Salt & Pepper
Method:
  1. Make the dough: Combine the flour(s), yeast, sugar, salt and yogurt in a mixing bowl. Add enough water to make a soft, pliable dough. Knead for 4~5 minutes. Cover with a kitchen towel and set aside to rise for 1 hour or until it doubles in volume.
  2. Make the filling: In the meantime, combine the mashed potatoes, spinach, red pepper paste (or red pepper flakes), feta cheese, parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
  3. Make the Gözleme: Once the dough is doubled, then gently deflate the dough and divide it into 8~10 pieces.
  4. Take a piece and roll it out as thin as you can. Sprinkle some dry flour to help you out with the rolling.
  5. Fold the left and right sides of the dough so that they meet in the edges meet in the middle.
  6. Spread about 2~3tbsp of the filling into the middle of the folded sides. Then fold the top and bottom edges over the filling making sure to cover it completely. Press the edges gently to seal. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
  7. Heat a griddle or a non-stick pan on medium heat. Brush one side of the gozleme with olive oil and place oil side down in the pan and cook for 2~3 minutes or until golden brown. Brush the other side with oil and cook for another 2~3 minutes.
  8. Repeat with the remaining gozlemes.
  9. Cut the gozlemes into quarters or halves or serve as is.
Stuffed Turkish Griddle bread
BreadBakers
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

Check out what my Griddle Breads that my fellow bakers have made for you:
Signature

22 comments:

  1. Pavani that's an interesting recipe.Gozleme looks yum. A new idea for dinner. Method of folding too is different and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing thing the lite food recipe was just awesome
    http://www.couponkoz.in/coupons/kfc

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delicious looking - Feta and Parsley! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, Pavani! I love these! Your filling combo is making me hungry, and the finished breads are just beautiful. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Gozleme look so inviting. I am happy that you could make it to the event afterall or we would have missed such a wonderful bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic. I enjoy all kinds of breads stuffed with things - I love that each culture pretty much has their own bread item native to the area.

    Must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been looking forward to see this, how gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wholesome dish, and the Gozleme looks delicious! I've never heard of it before but can think of all different fillings for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so good! What a beautiful photo and thanks for the folding demonstration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh. My. These look insanely good. Potatoes and cheese? I'm so there. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trying this soon :) Amazing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I am having so much fun with all these Bread Bakers recipes. I love the idea of Swiss chard and feta.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of Gozleme. They remind me a little of quesadillas. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love potato cheese pirogies so these must be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. bread looks so nice and soft - must have cooked up deliciously

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't tell you how many times I've visited your blog in the past two days Pavani, just to stare at that first picture of your gozleme! Such a lovely blend of flavours! I am bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. am so trying this pavani !! looks so much like Aloo Paratha, but so different :) I have a batch of first rise dough and sure to make this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't see the spinach in the ingredients. Did you use fresh then cooked or raw or cooked/frozen? Thank you !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for spotting that Caroline. I updated the recipe with the missing information. I used frozen chopped spinach.

      Delete
  19. Filling was so wonderful , It must be a healthy and filling flatbread.......

    ReplyDelete
  20. delicious bread with potatoes !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips