Cook's Hideout: Black Bean Chili w/ Basmati Rice

July 26, 2006

Black Bean Chili w/ Basmati Rice

I really love my beans and I always keep my pantry stocked with different kinds of canned beans(I especially love black and red kidney beans), so that I can use them when I have nothing in the refrigerator or running out of time. Canned beans are so convenient and don't require any prior planning.
I know there are a few million recipes for making Chili and this is my quick and easy version.

Ingredients:
Black Beans - 1 16oz. can (Rinsed and drained)
Refried beans - 3 tbsp
Vegetable Buillon cube (low-sodium) - 1
Tomato sauce - 2 tbsp
Crushed tomatoes - 4tbsp
Onion - 1 medium chopped
Jalapeno pepper - 1, seeded and chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves
Cumin powder - 1tsp
Chili powder - 1tsp
Salt and Pepper - to taste

Method:
  • Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a pan, add onions, jalapeno and garlic and saute till the onions are transparent.
  • Add the rinsed black beans, refried beans and vegetable buillon cube and 1/2 cup of water. Cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
  • Add the tomatoes, cumin & chili powders, salt and mix well. Add about 1 cup of water (you can add either more or less depending on your liking).
  • Cook for about 15minutes or till the Chili comes to the consistency you like.
  • Adjust seasoning and serve hot.

This can be served over Yellow spanish rice, white rice, baked potato, nachos...... Using refried beans makes the chili thicker (you can completely omit this). This chili can be made with any kind of beans - red kidney, pinto.....

This is my entry for Revathi's FMR "Comfort foods".

3 comments:

  1. Black bean chili recipe sounds yummy. I wanted to let u know that some brands of black beans contain meat. So be sure to check the ingredient label.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Revathi,
    Initially I thought chili can only made with beef, until I saw Rachel ray making vegetarian version..
    Thanks for stopping by.

    Thank you for your comments Pushpa..

    Hi Shobitha,
    Thanks for mentioning abt meat in canned beans. I was told abt that by a friend and since then have always checked the label before buying..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips