Cook's Hideout: Bhindi Masaleydar - Masala Okra

July 10, 2006

Bhindi Masaleydar - Masala Okra

Whenever we go out to eat, I try to order something new or something that I never had before(or never even heard of sometimes). My husband is more of a careful guy and not a risk taker. He ends up ordering the same item in most of the restaurants. I try to deconstruct the recipes that I have, so I can come home and try them.
I had this Bhindi masaleydhar in Shanghai (Epicure on 45, a revolving restaurant on the 45th floor of our hotel) and I liked it very much, so I tried it out as soon as I got back.
This is my version of Masala Bhindi and it came pretty close to what I had.

Ingredients:
Fresh Okra - 12-15 no.
Onion - 1 large chopped
Tomatoes - 1 large juicy chopped
Cumin powder - 1tsp
Coriander powder - 1tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric - pinch
Curry paste - 1 tsp [I used Patak's mild curry paste]
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Salt - to taste

Method:

  • Wash and thoroughly dry okra. Cut into 1" pieces.
  • Heat 1tbsp of oil in a pan, fry okra till browned on all sides. Remove and keep aside.
  • Heat 1tsp of of oil and add 1/4 of the chopped onion. Fry till lightly browned. Remove and keep aside. After cooling grind the fried onions with the coriander, cumin and chili powder into a smooth paste using little water.
  • Heat 2tsp of oil in the same pan, add asafoetida and onions. Fry till onions are transulent, then add tomatoes, onion paste and turmeric. Mix well and cook covered till tomatoes are done.
  • Add fried okra, curry paste, garam masala and salt to the tomato gravy. Add water if it is too dry.
  • Cook for 10-15 minutes. Serve with rice or chapathi.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious Pavani! Btw, is there any other alternative homemade substitute to the curry paste you've mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arsu,
    You can make your own curry paste. This is the basic recipe, feel free to substitute. Dry roast the below ingredients and grind into paste.
    cumin+chile pepper+ginger+garlic+coriander+tomato puree+salt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,You have a nice blog & your Bhindi masaledar recipe looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips