Being south Indians, we had rice for all our three meals. Having chapathis or parathas was only on occasion, may be twice a week. If you have a pressure cooker or electric cooker, making rice is a jiffy. So here one of my jazzy Palak rice, that's great to make for a week day dinner.
Rice - 11/2 to 2 cups cooked
Spinach - 1 bunch
Onion - 1 medium chopped
Tomatoes - 2 crushed (I used abt 1/3 can of crushed tomatoes)
Fresh Corn - 1/2 cup
Green chilies - 4-5
Garlic - 2 cloves
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon – 1 small stick
Cardamom – 2
Bay leaves – 2
Chili powder – 1tsp
Garam Masala – 1tsp
Salt – to taste
- Add bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves to rice while cooking.
- Saute spinach in 1tsp oil and grind into a smooth paste with green chilies and garlic. Keep aside.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a pan, add onions and saute till they turn light brown. Add turmeric, tomato puree and corn. Cover and cook till tomatoes are done.
- Add spinach paste, chili powder, garam masala & salt and saute for about 15minutes. Add water, if the mixture looks too dry.
- Add the spinach mixture to rice, mix well. Serve hot with onion raita.
This is my entry for Anthony's Curry Mela.