Cook's Hideout: Sheer Qurma/ Khorma/ Korma (Hyderabadi Kheer with Vermicelli & Dates)

September 23, 2013

Sheer Qurma/ Khorma/ Korma (Hyderabadi Kheer with Vermicelli & Dates)

Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter S
Theme: A-Z Vegetarian Dishes of Andhra Pradesh
Dish: Sheer Qurma/ Khorma/ Korma (Hyderabadi Kheer with Vermicelli & Dates)
Today we are starting the final week of our month long A-Z themed blogging marathon. It has been quite an experience cooking and posting Andhra dishes for the past 18 days. As a group, we have been planning the event for almost 4 months and so most of my dishes were thought out, cooked, clicked and scheduled to post well in advance except for the last week. I only made 2 dishes for the last week and the posts are still pending :-(
Sheer Qurma/ Khorma/ Korma (Hyderabadi Kheer with Vermicelli & Dates)
September has been the busiest month so far. 2 birthday parties planned and executed, sending a first grader back to school, family from India visiting, entertaining my 1 year old and my 3 year old niece during the day.. phew.. a lot has been going on and the last of week BM suddenly had to be put on the back burner. Added to that some of the letters for this week were also quite challenging (hello U,V,W,X,Y & Z-- thank you). But I'm sure I'll figure everything out and complete the marathon, thanks to my mom for all the help :-)
Sheer Qurma/ Khorma/ Korma (Hyderabadi Kheer with Vermicelli & Dates)
Coming back to today's letter S. Veggies & Fruits that I can think of are Sorakaya (bottle gourd), Sapota (chikoo), ingredients like Saggubiyyam (sago, tapioca pearls) etc. There is a very yummy eggplany based stew called Sivangi Pulusu that starts with S, but I didn't want to make any more eggplant based dishes for this series :-)
Since yesterday was my son's birthday, I'm celebrating today with this traditional Hyderabadi dessert, Sheer Qurma. I've heard the name Sheer Qurma before, but didn't know that Qurma here means dates and this dessert is actually made with thin vermicelli and dates. I have to say I was ignorant about a lot of Hyderabadi dishes till now and I'm so glad that doing this marathon has made me learn a lot the dishes from my home town.
Sheer Qurma/ Khorma/ Korma (Hyderabadi Kheer with Vermicelli & Dates)
This recipe is an adaptation from VahrehVah chef. I used evaporated milk instead of boiling the milk to the thick consistency. Quantity of sugar used is based on personal preference, so please feel free to adjust it accordingly.  
Sheer Qurma/ Khorma/ Korma (Hyderabadi Kheer with Vermicelli & Dates)
Ingredients:
Thin Semya (Vermicelli) - ½cup
Evaporated milk - 12oz. can
Whole milk - ½cup
Condensed milk - 3tbsp
Sugar - to taste
Almonds, Cashews, Raisins - 1tbsp each
Ground cardamom - ½tsp
Dates - 6-8

Method:
  • Heat 1tbsp ghee in a saute pan; add the nuts and fry until golden. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, roast the dates and set aside.
  • Heat 2tbsp ghee in the same pan; add the semya/ vermicelli and roast on medium-low flame until golden. If using roasted semya, just roast for couple of minutes so that they start smelling fragrant. Add 2tbsp water to slow down the cooking temperature.
  • Now add evaporated milk, whole milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
  • Next add sugar, condensed milk, ground cardamom; mix well and cook until the sugar dissolves and the mixture starts to thicken a little bit.
  • Turn off the heat and add the fried nuts and dates. Enjoy hot, cold or at room temperature.
Sheer Qurma/ Khorma/ Korma (Hyderabadi Kheer with Vermicelli & Dates)

Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32.
Previously on A-Z Vegetarian Dishes of Andhra Pradesh:
A for Aava Pettina Aratikaya Kura
B for Bagara Baingan
C for Chimmiri
D for Dosakaya Pachadi
E for Erra Gummadikaya Pulusu
F for Firni
G for Gongura Pulihora
H for Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem
I for Iguru/ Vankaya-Senagapappu Iguru
J for Jonna Pindi Kudumulu
K for Kakarakaya Podi Kura
L for Lauju/ Laskora (Kobbari Lauju)
M for Menthi kura Pappu
N for Nuvvulu-Mamidikaya Pachadi
O for Onion Pachadi
P for Pindi Miriyam
Q for Qabooli Biryani
R for Ragi-Barley Sankati
Signature

17 comments:

  1. Happy birthday wishes to your son Pavani.. Am yet to learn many authentic Hyderabadi dishes too.. Sheer qurma looks very delightful,delicious and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful dish pavani, along with you, I have learnt so many as well..the korma here sounds strange..maybe it simply refers to the richness of the dish?..whatever it's a delicious looking one and I hope you enjoyed your son's birthday...looking forward to the most challenging letters of this series, though I am sure you will crack them with your mom's help..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A belated happy birthday to your son ...yes the last few alphabets are rather tricky...anyway you have done a super job with this marathon...and today's post too is absolutely stunning..beau titular clicks..and dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow sheer korma looks so delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow very very delicious and rich sheer khorma :) looks drool worthy yummmm !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sheer Qurma! Similar to the semiya payasam but with loads of goodness :) I have a friend who makes this for Eid and invites us over every year. She moved recently and was terribly missing eating the sheer qurma this year. Your presentation looks very inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a quite a lot on your plate, can imagine your plight, but as you say, you will figure it out all for sure. i loved the way you have made the shir korma, we thrived on this during eid when our neighbour sent it over

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated birthday wishes to your son! This kheer looks divine , out of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. filling kheer must be so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks so silky and creamy delicious!!! yummm

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mom mentioned that she saw this on a cookery show and I too wanted to make it sometime. Yours looks Fabulous Pavani :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated b'day wishes to your kids and hope with your mother around you can finish off the scary alphabets with ease :-)

    The kheer looks very nice..Nice clicks as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belated birthday wishes !!!The clicks are awesome...looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw this recipe at first in Tarla Dalal's cook book. First I thought it was kurma but when I readnthe recipe, i came to know about this rich kheer. Looks super inviting...

    ReplyDelete
  15. From the time you have said you ar eposting Andhra style recipes I have been waithing for this one recipe. Cannot help it I love sweets and family hates sweets. Its too much to mak efor 1 person so I eat with my eyes in the blogosphere. Must say I am quite full now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips