Cook's Hideout: Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem Recipe

September 10, 2013

Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem Recipe

Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter H
Theme: A-Z Vegetarian Dishes from Andhra Pradesh
Dish: H for Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem
Letter H stands for Hyderabad, the capital city of Andhra Pradesh. Hyderabadi cuisine is not only famous for its rich and spicy Biryanis and curries but also for equally rich and decadent desserts. Hyderabad's cuisine is an amalgamation of Mughlai, Turkish and Arabic along with the influence of local Telugu and Marathwada cuisines.
Utmost care is taken in choosing the spices and other ingredients for the dishes. Therefore the addition of a certain herb, spice, condiment or a combination of all these add a distinct flavor and aroma. The key ingredients are coconut, tamarind, peanuts and sesame seeds which are used extensively in main dishes. 
Even though I grew up in Hyderabad, I have no knowledge of the actual 'Hyderabadi' dishes. We were never big on eating out and there were only handful of Hyderabadi dishes that my mom would make for us like Bagara Baingan and Mirchi ka salan.
Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem

As I was thinking of what to make for the letter H, the first dish that came to my mind is Hyderabadi Biryani. But I wanted to make something different and further research led me to this Vegetarian Haleem recipe on VahreVah Chef
I don't know why I always thought Haleem is a type of meat, I guess I got mixed up with Halaal and Haleem. Thanks to food blogging, I've learnt that Haleem is like a porridge made with broken wheat, barley, meat and lentils. Skip the meat and this is a completely vegetarian dish that is very filling and tastes great.
Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem
Typically haleem is a slow cooked dish that requires broken wheat and lentils to be soaked overnight and then cooked until tender and then ground to a smooth consistency. This recipe uses ground broken wheat and oats and the dish is pressure cooked making it perfect for a weeknight meal, especially on a cold winter night. I added some mixed veggies to make it a complete meal. 
Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem
I modified the original recipe a little bit based on my pantry ingredients. Please check out the original recipe here to get the complete ingredient list. 
Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem
Ingredients:
Broken Wheat (dalia) - ½cup
Rolled Oats - 2tbsp
Masoor dal - 1tbsp
Urad dal - 1tbsp
Moong dal - 1tbsp
Sesame seeds - 1tbsp
Peppercorns - ¼tsp
Green cardamom - 3
Cloves - 4
Cinnamon stick - 2" piece
Shahi jeera - 1tsp
Jeera - 1tsp
Soy Granules - ¼cup, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
Cashews - 1tbsp
Almonds - 1tbsp
Onions - 2 medium, thinly sliced (I used a white and a red onion)
Mixed Vegetables - ½cup (I used frozen mixed veggies with carrot, peas, green beans & lima beans)
Milk - ½cup
Green chilies - 2-3, slit
Mint - ¼cup, chopped
Cilantro - ¼cup, chopped
Lime/ Lemons - for garnish
Salt - to taste
Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem
Method:
  • Grind the ingredients Broken wheat to Jeera from the list (a total of 12 ingredients) into a coarse powder. This comes up to about 1 cup of powder.
  • In a saute pan, heat 2tbsp oil and fry the chopped onions on medium flame until lightly browned around the edges and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
  • In a pressure cooker, heat 2tbsp oil or ghee, add the chopped nuts and fry until golden. Next add the slit green chilies and cook for 1 minute.
  • Add almost all of the caramelized onions, reserving some for garnish, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes. 
  • Next stir in mixed vegetables and cook for 2 minutes. 
  • Drain and squeeze out the water from soy granules. Add this to the pressure cooker, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
  • Add the milk and scrape the bottom to pick up all the stuck bits. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
  • Add 3 cups of water, chopped herbs, salt and the powder. Mix well to make sure that there are no lumps. Bring this mixture to a soft boil.
  • Cover the pressure cooker and cook on medium-low flame for 15 minutes until everything is cooked through. Once the pressure dissipates, open the lid and mash the mixture to get the silky smooth texture. I like mine a little chunky, so skipped this step, but traditionally haleem is served smooth, so choice is yours.
  • Serve hot garnished with chopped herbs, lime/lemon wedges and sauteed nuts on top.
Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem

Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32.
Previously on A-Z Vegetarian Dishes of Andhra Pradesh:
A for Aava Pettina Aratikaya Kura
B for Bagara Baingan
C for Chimmiri
D for Dosakaya Pachadi
E for Erra Gummadikaya Pulusu
F for Firni
G for Gongura Pulihora
Signature

22 comments:

  1. that is a new and interesting dish for me!!! nice clicks!!

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a filling and nutritious one pot meal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah.even I always thought that Haleem is non veg..this is interesting. .though I soak the broken wheat and cook with moong daal..bur ...well great to find a dish which i cook but am not aware of another name;))....love the way you have made and presented it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow very interesting and delicious veggie haleem dear :) looks so yummy and a very healthy version dear !! loving it .. wonderful clicks too !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am also keen to make veg haleem for a long time, your addition of oats makes it work perfectly well for my diet plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.. Never thought haleem in veg form Must be try at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, am in love with this vegetarian Haleem, wish i get that bowl rite now just for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow what a list of ingredients - uber tasty and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats some longggg list of ingredients - but most of it available at home ! Ahem ! I too made the mistake of referring haleem with Halal :-))

    super clicks !

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pictures are so lovely pavani..even I came to know about haleem recently..and then learnt that yes it has meat and lentil and one can easily skip the meat. During the ramadan time this recipe was so popular in many of the forums..I have even bookmarked some to make later...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delicious Hakeem in that bowl ! Lovely dear..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that is a hearty haleem..I never ventured into haleem as I also thought that it was a meat based one :) But I guess we can omit/substitute meat in many dishes these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one recipe I have to try. I have been looking for one for a long time. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too thought this was a meat dish! You clicks are so nice Pavani:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.. You made a yummy version of meatless haleem.. Looks tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think majority of Hyderabadi Hindus are clueless about Hyderabadi style Muslim cooking. Period. :)))
    Even I thought haleem was meat and I was like what is Pavani cooking here? :)
    After reading the recipe, I bookmarked it even though I am sure I won't forget to try it. It seems my kind of dish with all the ingredients I love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What a lovely dish with all the grains and pulses! loved reading about the dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always thought haleem was meat...Thank you for enlightening us...lovely clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is one hearty filling dish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too thought Haleem was meat based :D...My bokmark list is growing too long Pavani!! And you know what...your photography and styling skills are so good that even the messiest food is presented in a beautiful manner...Need to learn it from you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always thought haleem was meat based. Love the pics. Bookmarking this one too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips