Cook's Hideout: Iguru/ Vankaya-Senagapappu Iguru (Eggplant-Chana Dal Curry)

September 11, 2013

Iguru/ Vankaya-Senagapappu Iguru (Eggplant-Chana Dal Curry)

Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter I
Theme: A-Z Vegetarian Dishes from Andhra Pradesh
Dish: I for Iguru/ Vankaya-Senagapappu Iguru (Eggplant-Chana Dal Curry)
Finding dishes that start with vowels is hard. Letter 'I' was even harder. All I could think of was Idli, but no matter how hard I thought I couldn't think of an Andhra spin to good old idlis. After a lot of thinking (out loud), the remembered the word Iguru. One of our dear friends back home used to call some of the curries 'igurus'. I didn't know what it actually meant, so I asked my mom to research.
She came back and said that the curries that are made by evaporating the liquid (igaradam) are generally called 'igurus'. I took it as the curries that are made slightly wet, but not necessarily with a gravy, fall into this category.
Iguru/ Vankaya-Senagapappu Iguru (Eggplant-Chana Dal Curry)
Luckily after that I watched an episode on a Telugu cooking show where the chef made this Iguru which I promptly noted down and made it for today. This is a spicy and flavorful dish that is perfect when served with steamed rice and rasam.
Iguru/ Vankaya-Senagapappu Iguru (Eggplant-Chana Dal Curry)
Ingredients:
Baby Eggplant - 10-12, chopped
Chana Dal (senagapappu) - ½cup, soaked for 2 hours
Dry red chilies - 2
Garlic cloves - 3, crushed
Ginger - 1tsp, finely chopped
Green chilies - 2, finely chopped
Curry leaves - 6-8
Turmeric - ½tsp
Salt - to taste

For Tempering:
Chana dal (senagapappu) - 1tsp
Urad dal (minapappu) - 1tsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp

Method:
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in a saute pan; add the tempering ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter, add dry red chilies and the crushed garlic cloves. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  • Next add ginger, green chilies and curry leaves, cook for 1 more minute. Add the soaked chana dal and fry for 2-3 minutes.
  • Next add chopped eggplant along with salt and turmeric. Cover and cook on medium flame until eggplant is completely cooked through and chana dal is tender, about 10-12 minutes.
Serve with rice or roti.
Iguru/ Vankaya-Senagapappu Iguru (Eggplant-Chana Dal Curry)

Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32.
Previously on A-Z Vegetarian Dishes of Andhra Pradesh:
A for Aava Pettina Aratikaya Kura
B for Bagara Baingan
C for Chimmiri
D for Dosakaya Pachadi
E for Erra Gummadikaya Pulusu
F for Firni
G for Gongura Pulihora
H for Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem
Signature

20 comments:

  1. interesting combination and a healthy dish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow ! this is a new style of cooking ! Curry looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow thats an delicious channa dal iguru :) looks so yummy and very informative post dear !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'll try it with bottle gourd :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I had bookmarked drumstick Igru long back from a tv show. Yet to do it. Looks superrrr

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can have this curry simply with some rice, delicious and fingerlicking dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome dish as usual I don't have to search for andhra food outside just clicked ur site will teach me in and out of andhra dish yummy recipe nice click too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice dry curry. Perfect with a bowl of curd rice...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting dish Pavani, yes I have heard my mom and mil using this word. though I have never used it myself..we do make this dish and call it simply gojju or koora

    ReplyDelete
  10. dal vaangi, is what we call it...my maami (maternal aunt) makes it so well, love to have it with bhakris, this recipe of yours is also wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure this tastes just as good as any eggplant curry :) You being an eggplant fan, can't expect any less from you, right??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Learnt something new here.Nice dish Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy dish.. My version is kinda similar to this..

    ReplyDelete
  14. New combination for me. Your iguru looks wonderful. We do snake gourd with chana dal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Pavani...i am learning so many new things from this bm everyday...dish looks very delicious

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rasam and this should taste heaven. A comfort side dish for rice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Take off the ginger and add a bit of ground coconut, and you have a koottu :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious and I see that Rajani has given kootu recipe too. Love to try them both.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips